reduced load for 9.3x74R

Try around 20 grains of 2400 with a jacketed or a lead bullet for starters .
I use 20 grs of 2400 with a 240 gr fmj or240gr lead in the .444 .
The good thing about 2400 is that it is not case sensitive.

Bob

H-4895 is a great reduced-load powder. You can safely use 60% of max listed charge. (If you can find one for your bullet) I found Hodgdon listing 48 grains MAX with a 250 grain bullet. 60% of that would be around 30 grains.~Muir

Last edited:
Hi John what bullets do you intend using for your “light” loads?

I purchased some 193 grn Sellior & Bellot bullets from Westlander at reasonable (cheap) cost and have been using 54 grns of Accurate 4064. They are accurate and easy shooting but can’t really be regarded as a real light load. I intend to use cast bullets for light practise and have bought a mold from accurate molds in the U.S. that will produce both a 270 grn and a 285 grn bullet. I have had one session casting so far and have failed to produce any good bullets from the mold but that is probably because I was rushed for time and hadn’t got it right. Previously I have only produced bullets for my 8mm from a Lee mold and they have been very successful so given a little time I am hopeful of producing reasonable quality useable bullets for the 9.3mm rifle. My initial intention will be to use Red Dot powder with these cast bullets just as I do with the 8mm. They are intended as practise rounds and not for game shooting. The cost will be absolute minimal.

My “for real” boar load is a 286 grn Nosler partition over 55.6 grns of N140.

I fear that you have the initial symptoms of “double rifle itis” for which there is no known cure.

Hi 8x57
you will find that a lot of lead mold's need to be used/runin about 10 times before they start to cast good quality bullets for some reason .

bob

Thanks Bob, I intend to give it another go over the next week or so but there is no rush at the moment as my 9.3 is in the sick bay awaiting a new ejector spring to be fitted by the gunsmith.

Hi 8x57
you will find that a lot of lead mold's need to be used/runin about 10 times before they start to cast good quality bullets for some reason .

bob
I'm sorry but I don't agree!
I broke in a new aluminium (NOE) mould yesterday and got perfect boolits from the fourth pour. Wash the mould in Methanol thoroughly, then put it on the lowest gas ring on the lowest setting until too hot to hold; allow to cool and repeat. Dip the mould in the lead at around 650 deg (just the corner) and allow to heat through. Take off the heat and wipe clean and allow to cool for a couple of minutes and then commence casting.
It works for me.

For a light practice load you could always paper-patch some 0.358" bullets. I did that with some round nose 200 grainers meant for the old .38 Colt new Police cartridge.

I am just the opposite of most: I don't want light target loads with cast bullets. I was full-power loads with cast bullets! I feel bad. I again had my lovely, trusty, Husqvarna 8x57 ready for the hunt with 206 grain RN cast bullets at 2360 fps yet didn't fire a single shot in anger this past season. I had a few deer well within range but chose not to shoot to avoid disturbing a friend's stalk in the canyon below me. :cry:~Muir

John, try Sellior & Bellot and Parizan bullets..I use this two for training in 9,3x62 cal. Partizan has same shape and weight as Lapua Mega, good SP. But price is much different, but not performance. Regards...

I'm sorry but I don't agree!
I broke in a new aluminium (NOE) mould yesterday and got perfect boolits from the fourth pour. Wash the mould in Methanol thoroughly, then put it on the lowest gas ring on the lowest setting until too hot to hold; allow to cool and repeat. Dip the mould in the lead at around 650 deg (just the corner) and allow to heat through. Take off the heat and wipe clean and allow to cool for a couple of minutes and then commence casting.
It works for me.

Is that not the same as runing the mould in? by any chance

I didn't run it for ten sessions to get a good boolit.
The key is to adequately clean the mould before heating it up.

For using lead bullets in it, with a PLAIN BASE NO GAS CHECK, I'd be tempted to treat it as if it were an American calibre! That is to say use TRAIL BOSS powder that was specifically developed for cast lead bullets in straight wall cases.

I have been using it in my 44 Magnum and am very pleased with it. Others report good results with 444 Marlin and, of course, the popular 45-70.

It is a very bulky powder, a true smokeless powder not a pseudo blackpowder like Pyrodex or Triple 7, so it is non-corrosive, and might be well worth checking out.

For using lead bullets in it, with a PLAIN BASE NO GAS CHECK, I'd be tempted to treat it as if it were an American calibre! That is to say use TRAIL BOSS powder that was specifically developed for cast lead bullets in straight wall cases.

I have been using it in my 44 Magnum and am very pleased with it. Others report good results with 444 Marlin and, of course, the popular 45-70.

It is a very bulky powder, a true smokeless powder not a pseudo blackpowder like Pyrodex or Triple 7, so it is non-corrosive, and might be well worth checking out.
Plain base boolits are limited to about 1600 fps. Accurate 5744 is an excellent powder for cast boolit loads. 1900 to 2000 fps is very accurate at shorter ranges (100 to 200 yds)

John,

To lighten the load you could always choose not to use a "nice, but heavy, leather rifle slip".

Where you would find one, I wouldn't know. Maybe you could ask Sue......

The Diamond is looking good ;)

Stan

Back