split cane fishing rod

reiver

I Have inhertited a split cane fly rod about 9ft long and marked "Golden test" just above were the cork handle finishes. As I am not a fisherman do any of you on here know anything about this rod ? eg.age,maker and of course is it worth ow't .

Bob.

Hi Bob.

Im not 100% sure but my father used to make his own split cane rods and repair those of work/fishing mates etc,

i am sure this is the model of the rod you may have to look around the base below the cork handle at the rubber pad area to see if you can find any info, or the main place you find the info is on the rod its self.

i have 2 here my dad made and they are stunning, i have not cast a fly for about 30 years but they will be here until i go.

bob.

Allcocks, C1910-1950 depending on condition around £100

they are nice but an acquired taste to actually fish with given the modern materials available now

hope that helps

i only keep mine as my dad has passed on,and he made them in his last years with us,

but i'll tell you this, he was that good with a rod he could mosy likly use a branch of a tree and still catch fish with it,

bob.

If it isn't ,Hardys, Sharps of Aberdeen it is only worth what you put on it as a value .

If it is any of the two above there will be a name on them IE Hardy Wye,Hardy Lrh etc the Sharps of Aberdeen maybe tapered joints instead of metal ferals .

There is money in some of them that are in good condition as there is on old fly and spinning reels,creel baskets, landing nets etc .

If it is a Hardys rod there is a number on the base of the handle if it let me know I'll give you the rough details of it .

The closest I can find in some of the old catalogs is allcocks golden test which was a 3 pc fly rod cost in today's market mmmmmm ????

Laird you need educating in split cane rods had you seen some of the prices I've sold them for you'd be buying a polly tunnel not a green house .

Last edited:
reiver

Further to WS's email, what condition is the rod in, as this will have a significant impact on value? For example, is the cork handle in good condition, are the whippings on the rings intact, does the rod have any sort of "cast" to it, etc?

I still use an old 7'6" split cane rod for small river fishing. It is a delight to cast so long as you remember to slow everything down compared to modern rods, and it catches fish just as well as carbon.

willie_gunn

I also have been given a cane fly rod, can anyone tell me its value if there is one.

on the silver ring that holds the reel on it reads - made by hardys england
on the rod it reads the following - #5
The Perfection
jalakona - this might be slightly different as i can not quite make out the writing
Regd trade mark
P/B
9'
Also took picture of rod handle and bag if you can make it out, the rod is in very good condition

View attachment 10938View attachment 10939

I also have been given a cane fly rod, can anyone tell me its value if there is one.

on the silver ring that holds the reel on it reads - made by hardys england
on the rod it reads the following - #5
The Perfection
jalakona - this might be slightly different as i can not quite make out the writing
Regd trade mark
P/B
9'
Also took picture of rod handle and bag if you can make it out, the rod is in very good condition

View attachment 10938View attachment 10939

whats the number above the rubber butt end next to the reel seat ??? hang the rod upright don't lie it against the wall it will set the cane (bend it)
The perfection is a cracking rod. It is Palakona cane looking at the cork handle it hasn't seen a lot of work who ever has had it looked after the cork by not setting the fly in the cork handle . You didn't inherit the hardy perfect reel to go with it ??

Ive had many a cast with one which is still in the cupboard along with the perfect reel and kingfisher silk line good old days

Just checked and i cant find any numbers on the rod, i was given this and another cane rod by my grandfathers brother who taught me to fly fish. the other one is called garcia or something along those lines. I also had a fishing bag with quite a few reels and flies, not quite sure the make of the reels will have to dig them out of the attic one day. I have had these for over 17 years. They are both stored in a rod tube and laid flat

Last edited:
I have built acouple of 7 ft 3/4 weight split cane rods using a blank from Agutters - they are lovely to use. Holts auctioneers do include fishing gear and might be worth looking through their archive to get some idea of value.

A split cane rod is very different to carbon - it won't cast as far nor is as light, but it's a much gentler and to my mind more satisfying action to use.

This must have been quite a recent rod in split cane terms as the use of the AFTM line weight numbering system did not happen until perhaps the middle 1970s and the fact that Hardys were in the Harris and Sheldon group also puts a maximum age on the rod of 44 years as this happened in 1967. I have never heard of the Golden Test model, is it possible it was an export model?

Allcocks the people who made centre pin reels used to make their own version of split cane rods it could be one of theirs is theyr'e any signatures on the rod bob james and such.

paul

Hi Mate,

Bewsher is spot on, it's an alcocks golden test. I have the same one I think, it's 9' and with a full cork grip, 3 piece rod. I dated mine to around 1920. pretty worthless from a monetary perspective, but looks great on the wall in the game-room/library/whatever takes your fancy.

if you're not into fishing, sell it on ebay to someone who love one for the wall or collection, shame to leave it gathering dust IMHO, you should get £100 - £200

Back