Thread: .204 Ruger accuracy :)

.204 Ruger accuracy :)

Had another couple of hours trying out some more home loads on my .204. Very happy with the accuracy again. Both the 32g VMAX and Noslers had a cloverleaf group at 100 yards with a max load of Varget flying at 3800 ft/sec. Moved back to 200 yards and the VMAX opened up to just over an inch but the Noslers were unbelievable with 3 shots virtually touching in a line. Magnum went and got the target board for me and on his way back shouted “what the hell were the last 3 you shot?????” Couldn't believe it, not bad off a bipod and a bag on the rear with a max 16 mag scope. Also managed to find a better load for the 40g VMAX, had a cloverleaf with 3 shots at 100 yards but 2 others were apx an inch adrift (possibly pulled by me)...Look out Mr fox.

Good groups SNN , i love my .204 i'm not sorry i sold the HMR to fund it ,mine is shooting sub 3/4" @ 161m (havnt tried any groups @ 100m) i think it could do better but need a higher mag scope.

Have you tried X10 powder i'm getting 3957fps ave with a 32gr SBK just under the max load out of a 22" barrel , this load crumples foxes on impact .

This is a five shot group at 100 yrds using Hornady 40gr V Max through a T3 Stainless Super Varmint. Pulled the last shot like you do

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01402.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	10926

Quote Originally Posted by griffshrek View Post
    Good groups SNN , i love my .204 i'm not sorry i sold the HMR to fund it ,mine is shooting sub 3/4" @ 161m (havnt tried any groups @ 100m) i think it could do better but need a higher mag scope.

Have you tried X10 powder i'm getting 3957fps ave with a 32gr SBK just under the max load out of a 22" barrel , this load crumples foxes on impact .
    I loaded up the Varget adn Benchmark loads becasue I ahd it in the cabinet. Had a couple of good groups with the Benchmark max load but not as good as the Varget but a bit faster at 3900 ft/sec. To be honest im happy with 3800 ft/sec with those groups and just an inch drop between 100 and 200 yards. Pretty much stays on the shot, maybe around an inch rise on the shot so should see the impact through the scope which is what I wanted...Just need a fox int he sights now.

Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    I loaded up the Varget adn Benchmark loads becasue I ahd it in the cabinet. Had a couple of good groups with the Benchmark max load but not as good as the Varget but a bit faster at 3900 ft/sec. To be honest im happy with 3800 ft/sec with those groups and just an inch drop between 100 and 200 yards. Pretty much stays on the shot, maybe around an inch rise on the shot so should see the impact through the scope which is what I wanted...Just need a fox int he sights now.
    i was only thinking how long it would take you to do post about your new gun ??? will get out next week and give them foxes some stick i would think you wood be over the moon with the grouping to day at 200 mts you could cover them with a 5p coin not bad for you !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by magnum View Post
    i was only thinking how long it would take you to do post about your new gun ??? will get out next week and give them foxes some stick i would think you wood be over the moon with the grouping to day at 200 mts you could cover them with a 5p coin not bad for you !!!!!!!!
    Haha, thanks mate...Yeah if they stay still long enough mite get a shot at one

What rifle are you using mate?

Cheers
    Ben

Its a Howa 1500 24" Varmint barrel thumbhole stock (In the picture as my Avatar). Very accurate for an off the shelf medium budget rifle