Thread: Lapua Scenar

Lapua Scenar

What is the consensus on the scenar as a foxing/vermin bullet? Obviously they are a target round, but I know a couple on here are fans. I have however seen others comment on the toughness of the jackets and their propensity to pencil and ricochet. The only definitive word I have heard is that they are exceptionally accurate. Before I invest in some 108 grain 6.5s, could I get some feedback from those who have used them?

I used them years ago for targets and they were very accurate , for hunting they did pencil and in the states they tried them for hunting and gave them a miss as the smk were a better round although Sierra state they are not a hunting bullet many folk us them with good results .
    The point is the yanks would use the smk for longer range hunting were the bullets killed well but at shorter ranges the smk did alot of carcass damage . The article is covered well on LRH.

Cheers

Yes the info from the states does seem to indicate that Scenars are a tough bullet.

forgive my ignorance, but don't they make bullets for hunting?
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

A few target bullet/speed/game or vermin combinations work very well but most don't.
    Quite a lot of testing is needed before one can say for sure what works. Some bullet designs
    are better suited for vermin such as A-max or the 22cal Nosler custom match when used with
    22 centrefire.
    Overall I found the reliable expansion and reliable penetration of soft points is hard to beat.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    A few target bullet/speed/game or vermin combinations work very well but most don't.
    Quite a lot of testing is needed before one can say for sure what works. Some bullet designs
    are better suited for vermin such as A-max or the 22cal Nosler custom match when used with
    22 centrefire.
    Overall I found the reliable expansion and reliable penetration of soft points is hard to beat.
    edi
    Absolutely, target ammo is not something I would usually consider but the 108 grain scenars especially seem to have a bit of following as a foxing bullet. Light, long varmint bullets are hard to come by in 6.5mm, hence my interest.

if anybody has used the 155gr scenars on deer or foxes i would be intrested in there results,i use them for target sooting out to 1000yds in my 30-06.they are accurate for sure,5 shot sub inch groups at 300yds