.243 bullets.

Boarboy

Ok. Currently I shoot 70grBTs in my .243 for foxes and use my .308 for all my deer work. I was just wondering if there was a heavier .243 bullet i could use for deer that would shoot similarly to the 70gr without having to adjust my scope each time? I.e could i just slot a 100gr in my .243 when i went out stalking without having to worry about altering the scope a couple of clicks each time? I havent shot a 70gr then say a 100gr at paper to see what the differences are.

Thanks.

the only way to answer this is on the paper mate.
every bullet/load will shoot different in every rifle.
you might be lucky you might not. its that simple, no one on here can answer this for you.

Ok. Currently I shoot 70grBTs in my .243 for foxes and use my .308 for all my deer work. I was just wondering if there was a heavier .243 bullet i could use for deer that would shoot similarly to the 70gr without having to adjust my scope each time? I.e could i just slot a 100gr in my .243 when i went out stalking without having to worry about altering the scope a couple of clicks each time? I havent shot a 70gr then say a 100gr at paper to see what the differences are.

Thanks.

The target below was shot with my Tikka T3 .243 Hunter.
It was sighted in to hit the bullseye at 12 o`clock at 100 yards with my 75gr V.Max re-loads.
I won a box of 100gr Privi Partisan Softpoints at a stalkers shoot and was pleased to find that if I took the same central point of aim that they too were in the bull.
Crow or Roe by a swift bullet change !
HWH.

100grPrivi-1.jpg

I have shot roe with the 70BT fine. However, some larger fallow bucks have required, lets just say some finishing shots. Not ideal.

not sure how it will shoot in your particular rifle but if you want a killer .243 bullet look no further than the 85grn Barnes- any deer you care to mention!

Why are you worried about the 70 nosler bt on deer ?
ATB steve

The Nosler 70g BT is a varmint bullet (Like V Max), designed to cause maximum damage to vermin.

I use the Nosler 90g "hunting" bt in my .243, and I find them to be very accurate, and do the job very well.

For things I don't intend to eat, I find the 87g V Max is excellent, and shoots .75" high compared to the 90g.

243PatLoadsGunCleaned.jpg

hi i got 87hp and 100 btsp with in a inch.rl19 with 42.4 grain and 100gspbt .and rl19 with 44grain and87grainbthp in my tikka

Just a case of finding what works for "you". Some times I need to use the 100g SP, and they are close enough that I don't have to worry about dialling in the scope.

That said, these were at 100yds, I've zero'd the 90's at 200yds now, so need to do the same with the others.

Mark.

I could just use those 90BTs for everything. I mean a fox isnt going to mind if its shot with a 70 or a 90! thats really good clear illustration lateral. What speed do you have those 90s shooting at, and how do they work on the bigger fallow bucks? Why a 90 and not the 95gr BT? Ive got some 95gr BTs that i could load up and test.

I could just use those 90BTs for everything. I mean a fox isnt going to mind if its shot with a 70 or a 90! thats really good clear illustration lateral. What speed do you have those 90s shooting at, and how do they work on the bigger fallow bucks? Why a 90 and not the 95gr BT? Ive got some 95gr BTs that i could load up and test.

The only problem with the Nosler 90g BT, or the 95g, is they are "hunting", not varmint bullets, and I'm pretty sure they'll pencil through.

I've not tried the 95's, but if you have some, try them. I'm using the 90's because they suit my 10:1 twist really well. I would like to try the Berger 87, or 95g hunting VLD's, but there seem to be very mixed reports about them.

It gets to the point where you just have to stop trying everything out there, especially when you find something that works well anyway !

When I had my .243 I used these 85gr bullets on both roe and foxes.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?id=18

I
had no issues with them at all, very accurate through my particular rifle and this gave me the confidence to stick with them.

Yes, I agree. Ive used 85gr on roe and fox before, nice weight to shoot. Thing is when i come across some of the larger fallow bucks in the rut, id like something a little heavier! Maybe im looking for too much, I do like shooting the 70s on fox, but ideally id like something in the .243 that would do it all. what would you go for?

The only problem with the Nosler 90g BT, or the 95g, is they are "hunting", not varmint bullets, and I'm pretty sure they'll pencil through.

I've not tried the 95's, but if you have some, try them. I'm using the 90's because they suit my 10:1 twist really well. I would like to try the Berger 87, or 95g hunting VLD's, but there seem to be very mixed reports about them.

It gets to the point where you just have to stop trying everything out there, especially when you find something that works well anyway !

I've been using the 95grn Nosler BTs for quite a few months now, and they seem to be a really good bullet. I've used them on roe, muntjac and fox. They don't "pencil" through foxes. The size of the exit wound is good. There's very little substance to a fox to hold the bullet together, so it seems to expand very satisfactorily. If it were me, I'd just buy the one bullet and use for both. 85-95grns being the weight range I'd go for.

I've been using the 95grn Nosler BTs for quite a few months now, and they seem to be a really good bullet. I've used them on roe, muntjac and fox. They don't "pencil" through foxes. The size of the exit wound is good. There's very little substance to a fox to hold the bullet together, so it seems to expand very satisfactorily. If it were me, I'd just buy the one bullet and use for both. 85-95grns being the weight range I'd go for.

Same as Harry, I use the Nosler 95's on fallow and foxes they do plenty of damage to the foxes i've shot and seem to drop fallow without too much meat damage. That said I would use the 308 for bigger bucks just to be sure.

I shoot 100g gamekings through my .243, I have tried 80g soft points but they seem to make a real mess of the deer I shot with them, the 100g work fine from munty to reds and foxy didnt like them much either

mike

I use 87 HPBT home loads for everything. I like to eep it simple when im out, less room for mistakes then.

I might have missed it but i don't think anyone has mentioned my favourite for the popular 243, I have had best results all round with Hornady 95GR SST,
good for foxes and great for deer.
For the reloaders, i find a load of 45grains of h4350 works just great for me.

Back