Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: if you could only have 1 rifle

if you could only have 1 rifle

if you were told that you could only have 1 rifle to last you to the end of your days, 1 rifle to cover all the hunting you carry out.
    don't take money into account, all ammo is free, and your 1 rifle is free.
    1) what calibre would you have
    2) what make
    3) why
    4) what quarry
    5) where would you choose to hunt

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    if you were told that you could only have 1 rifle to last you to the end of your days, 1 rifle to cover all the hunting you carry out.
    2) what make
    3) why
    4) what quarry
    1 - 375 H&H. It's classy, and can be loaded down with cast bullets and trail boss for small game, or loaded up with solids and used on elephant. There are a lot of versatile cartridges like 243 or 30-06, but the bigger the better - you can always load down but you can't load beyond the car volume.
    2 - probably win M70, or maybe BRNO 702, or money no object true mauser m98 magnum. I'm not saying CRF are the best, just I like them the best.

The rest are all left open - with that rifle I could hunt anything anyway at all reasonable ranges
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

6.5 X 55 is with out doubt the Jack of all trades.

A decent drilling, either German or Austrian. 2x 12 bore shotgun barrels with rifled insert tubes. The main rifle barrel in 8x57irs and the smaller bore in .22lr
    As well as the obligatory open sights I would fit a decent 1.5-6x42 scope of good european manufacture and claw type quick release mounts.
    Doesn't sound too different to the old Luftwaffe Africa Corps survival rifle does it?

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    2) what make
    3) why
    4) what quarry
    Blaser r8 in .308 . Basically because it is a well engineered accurate rifle that I personally like the feel of. I have it in .243w at the moment but when funds are available I would like to add a .308 barrel. Given the option of just one calibre it would have to be the .308 because it covers just about everything that I enjoy eating within the UK, eg Wild boar and really any of the deer, possibly also wild goat. Where to shoot? Anywhere within the UK. We are to my mind very fortunate to have such a broad selection of quarry within a relatively small country

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    A decent drilling, either German or Austrian. 2x 12 bore shotgun barrels with rifled insert tubes. The main rifle barrel in 8x57irs and the smaller bore in .22lr
    As well as the obligatory open sights I would fit a decent 1.5-6x42 scope of good european manufacture and claw type quick release mounts.
    Doesn't sound too different to the old Luftwaffe Africa Corps survival rifle does it?
    Interesting choice 8x. I'd go with something essentially similar but since the question was "if you could have only one rifle" I'll assume I'm still allowed a couple of shotguns for winged and smaller ground game and vermin control. So, my choice would be a Merkel or Krieghoff (probably Krieghoff) superposed double in a calibre that would be lawful for deer here in Scotland and every other European quarry too, at all ranges I'm likely to want to shoot at. My calibre of choice would therefore have to be .30R Blaser (no problem since I'm already a reloader) as the 8mm and 9.3mm have velocity issues as far as Scots rules apply and less flat trajectories are maybe a problem too. I'd definitely have open sights and a swing off battue/general purpose scope too (possibly a S & B 1.5-6x42 flashdot). And there you would have a proper accurate general purpose, all purpose tool, methinks.

Velocity for Scotland, 8mm not a problem Tamus that's why I chose it rather than 9.3mm. Bit of a silly law really, the scots normally get their laws right which is more than I can say for England and Wales.

If I wanted to travel, but excluding dangerous game, then I'd probably pick a .30-06. If I were to be stuck with it for the rest of my life then I'd have to choose between a take-down Hagn action single shot or D'Arcy Echols 'Legend'...

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Velocity for Scotland, 8mm not a problem Tamus that's why I chose it rather than 9.3mm. Bit of a silly law really, the scots normally get their laws right which is more than I can say for England and Wales.
    Agreed.

I should maybe have added; Much of the time, I shoot heavier game with a .30-06 at the moment and even though I'm partial to using 150grain Hornadies in it I've sort of gravitated to one load these days. A 180 grain Nosler partition with an MV of about 2750 fps... and I reckon that's a real mouse to moose load if there ever was one, at ranges right out to 200m and beyond. The 8x57r is fine cartridge too though I'd probably need to use lighter bullets to get the MV for Scottish deer and heavier ones, at probably lower than our required 2450fps, to get to the real punch potential for Boar. Since the .30r Blaser matches and even exceeds .30-06, which I'm so familiar with now, in that cartridge I would be tempted to go with a single load of a 200grain partition and something close to 2700fps of mv (from 600mm barrels). One load and total knowledge of that load makes an easier task than trying to achieve the same results when using multiple options and variables, Yes/No? In this, I'm probably thinking more of the circumstances that arise when taking running game, where you ideally want to instictively "know" what the bullet is going to do, without having to faff around figuring it out. So, not only one rifle but only one round for it too... "K.I.S.S." as they say. Incidently, I have no African, "white hunter" ambitions, if I did I'd move the cartridge choice on up several notches. I'm not sure a .400"+ is quite the thing for foxing with though...