Ruger M77 MK2

Hurf

Does anyone who uses (has used) one of these find them alright or did you have any regrets with them

Hi,
over the past 20 years have bought and sold a 243, been given a 243 and use a 7x57. No issues with any of them.

Hi buddy. I love mine. Have it in .308. Have shot a few different types of rifle and they are as good as any other I have used. Never had problems. There are a lot of haters out there but honestly cannot see why. Much prettier guns out there but as a workhorse they are great. What calibre are you looking at? T

Does anyone who uses (has used) one of these find them alright or did you have any regrets with them

cant fault mine , had a couple of yrs now bought it second hand in mint condition and shoots cloverleafs @ 100m with my home loads !

couldnt comment on accuracy of factory amunition though !

Had one for 20 years ,trigger adjustment not great,very accurate recently chopped off the barrel and added a T4 love it ,270 by the way .

Last edited:

Hurf. I have owned Ruger MKIIs in 223, 22-250, 243, 25-06 & 260 Rem and shot them exclusively with factory ammunition. I shot my first roe buck with the 22-250 and I shot a number of red deer with the 243. 25-06 and 260 Rem. However I don't own any of them now. The rifles I have now are in my gallery. The .243/25-06/260 were fine for shooting red deer in the chest at moderate ranges once the triggers had been worked on, however I struggled with the .25-06 to get a group that was small enough for shooting roe deer, so I got rid of it. I don't know how the 25-06 would have performed had I reloaded for it.

I liked the robust 3 position safety and the integral scope mounts. When I bought them, they were all I could afford and traded in without problems against the next one.

A lot depends what you want to shoot with your Ruger MK II, what range and how much pressure you are under to get a result. The options for upgrading them are fairly limited, although some stocks are available.

Regards JCS

Last edited:
had a mkll in 243 cracking good rifle brought it mint for £500 sold mint for £500 liked most factory ammo, well built ,plain timber ,nice blueing

Hi buddy. I love mine. Have it in .308. Have shot a few different types of rifle and they are as good as any other I have used. Never had problems. There are a lot of haters out there but honestly cannot see why. Much prettier guns out there but as a workhorse they are great. What calibre are you looking at? T

Something like a 243 or perhaps a slower quarter bore as I'll be shooting over shorter ranges I'll just have to see whats out there. Thanks for your comments, as some have said there are mixed reports over them the trigger seems to attract a fair few comments. I'll just have to try them and see what they feel like.
regards

.... mixed reports over them the trigger seems to attract a fair few comments.....

I got Alex Dalgleish to reduce the trigger pull on the ones I got. I seem to remember that out of the box the .25-06 trigger pull was 9lb. It didn't take a lot of effort for Alex to get it down to about 3lbs. Regards JCS

I had one in 7x57 many years ago, it was a bit 'agricultural' in the trigger department, but I changed that for a Timney after a while. Apart from that it was an OK , no frills rifle that killed everything it was pointed at. No complaints really.

P

I think the posts here pretty much cover it. Absolutely reliable and accurate in my book. 3 position safety is positive in it's mechanism and comes in particularly handy with the floor plate magazine (which I didn't think I'd like, but is absolutely fine). Trigger's are heavy (thanks to the litigious nature of the US) - to stop particularly stupid Americans from 'accidentally' shooting themselves, but this can be sorted out easily with a trigger kit from Timney or Rifle Basixx (Rimfire Magic do the latter for about £75).

E t R

I think they are probably the best of the American factory rifles available here - if you don't plan to customise them. My buddy has a couple of them and they are reliable and accurate.

Just pull the trigger group and replace it with a Rifle Basix.

The big advantage is the controled round feed,there are still plenty of old blokes around who wont use anything else.
The safety & half cock is as good as any,or better.(Thats hard for a win 64 tragic to admit)
I have a few of these up to 338 win.I've walked a few thousand klms over the years carrying one.I cant recall an issue.
As long as they group five shots into an inch & a half they are fine for what I use mine for, so I have never tried for anything better from these rifles.
A good mate built up a 240wby on a old 30 06 mk II, its very accurate.(I'm waiting for him to tire of it .)

They are rugged,reliable & affordable.

Cheers Sharkey

The DISADVANTAGE is that a lot of them have only a 22" long barrel. Not a problem if you fit a moderator but for those of us that don't or won't I prefer that extra two inches between my ear and the muzzle.

The ADVANTAGE is that excellent, truly excellent, 'scope mounting "Ruger Ring" system. Like the old BRNO ZKK it has the mount bases (as it were) machined as an integreal part of the receiver.*

At least someone has devised a 'scope mounting system that is a bit further advanced from copying how medieval builders attached roof gutter down pipes to the sides of their houses!

i have one, the trigger was appalling and the original barrel was way too light it was a clover leaf grouper at 100yrds though for 3 shots after that it was everywhere as the thing got hot , however i like the action and the safety arrangement so it got a timney trigger a lothar walther match bull barrel ,laminated stock and a bedding job now it is a superb rifle , the mounting system is rock solid and it does exactly what i want it to do

You can get these triggers adjusted by a gun smith who knows his way around a needle file!! TBH if you are paying for his labour you will probably be as cheap getting the timney.

Dave

Back