salt licks

Stevie/P

anybody got any advice on salt licks ie what hight and general place to put them do thay attract deer is it legal our should i not bother.

Personally I wouldn't bother. I keep a few cattle as a hobby and put licks out for them. Standard practice is to put them up high enough so badgers can't get near them or take them in at night to help prevent the spread of TB. There appears to be not much TB in the deer population from what I've gathered/experienced so far and certainly wouldn't want it. Bearing that in mind I wouldn't take thegamble no matter how small the risk.

You are supposed to place them on a tree stump so that the salt dissolves and runs down the tree then the deer lick the tree to get the salt. I fell a fir next to or on a regular deer path at chest height then run the tip of the saw down the stump about twelve inches then place the salt block on top depending on weather they can last upto six months and I think they do work maybe because we have very poor soils here but when the deer get over their weariness they seem to use them fairly regularly.

You are supposed to place them on a tree stump so that the salt dissolves and runs down the tree then the deer lick the tree to get the salt. I fell a fir next to or on a regular deer path at chest height then run the tip of the saw down the stump about twelve inches then place the salt block on top depending on weather they can last upto six months and I think they do work maybe because we have very poor soils here but when the deer get over their weariness they seem to use them fairly regularly.

+1
I found that they worked quite well with fallow as long as they were placed in cover were the deer congregate and a drop of aniseed poured over the block helps them find it more quickly.
006-4.jpg

Roe deer on the other hand seemed to show little interest

anybody got any advice on salt licks ie what hight and general place to put them do thay attract deer is it legal our should i not bother.

Put a block of salt on an untreated post not less than 1 meter 40 high so that the salt leeches down the wood. But put it near water otherwise the deer wil damage the nearby trees. The roe and fallows will find them soon. If you doubt the results hang a throphy cam 5-10 yards away.

You will be plesantly surprised by the traffic.

Set your salt like up like this. You will be knee deep in moose before you can say Bobs your whatsit.

have put a few out for munty and roe also apples and going to put some maize cobs out,mate on here put them out for red and they seemed to enjoy them set on a high 5' + post

Back