Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shooting further than normal

shooting further than normal

after a glorious morning on saturday, first proper frost. new piece of land. i have a question.

how to train (if thats the right word) myself to be confident shooting longer distances. obviously you cant better regularly going out with your deer rifle and putting rounds down range but in my world thats not an option. i have a good air rifle which does improve my shooting when i practice in the garden. also have a .22 lr and fairly easy access to land to practice on. i am fairly new to stalking and have only had 7 deer so far. i know some of you guys and girls wouldnt hesitate at a shot from a soild high seat at 200 yds but i was happy to see them walk on this time.

although its early days i get the feelling from what we saw saturday that the fallow will present themselves further away from my usual shooting distance. normal shooting distance is from say 30 to 70 yards (as close as i can get). the new piece of land has a good double high seat in a position that affords safe shots to 250 yards. were the deer presented themselves was safe from the high seat but questionalbe if on the ground to get to a shootable position. the deer stayed out of the frost and about 125 to 200 yards away. (very sensible).

just as a foot note. both my friend and i saw a fox at 150 yds and both said we wouldnt hesitate at shooting it so why the hesitation at deer

any advice gratefully received

regards pj

I don`t think there`s too many out there that would be comfortable with shooting deer out past 200 ish yards. You will get to know your own comfort zone.
    Practise on paper targets at various ranges out to 200 yards and see how you get on.
    The main thing is what ever live quarry you are firing at deserves a humane death.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    after a glorious morning on saturday, first proper frost. new piece of land. i have a question.

how to train (if thats the right word) myself to be confident shooting longer distances. obviously you cant better regularly going out with your deer rifle and putting rounds down range but in my world thats not an option. i have a good air rifle which does improve my shooting when i practice in the garden. also have a .22 lr and fairly easy access to land to practice on. i am fairly new to stalking and have only had 7 deer so far. i know some of you guys and girls wouldnt hesitate at a shot from a soild high seat at 200 yds but i was happy to see them walk on this time.

although its early days i get the feelling from what we saw saturday that the fallow will present themselves further away from my usual shooting distance. normal shooting distance is from say 30 to 70 yards (as close as i can get). the new piece of land has a good double high seat in a position that affords safe shots to 250 yards. were the deer presented themselves was safe from the high seat but questionalbe if on the ground to get to a shootable position. the deer stayed out of the frost and about 125 to 200 yards away. (very sensible).

just as a foot note. both my friend and i saw a fox at 150 yds and both said we wouldnt hesitate at shooting it so why the hesitation at deer

any advice gratefully received

regards pj
    I would say that your nervousness at taking the longer shot shows that you have respect for your quarry and you want to limit the chance of wounding an animal. It's all about confidence, and if you don't feel confident enough to take the shot then don't do it. Confidence is built through experience and you will know yourself when the time is right to take shots at longer distances. Confidence can be very easily lost through a bad experience and it can take a while to get it back.

Give yourself a pat on the back for having the self restraint to stop yourself pulling the trigger. If you carry on with the same attitude then you really won't go far wrong.

To the first part of your thread, I think the biggest thing about shooting at greater distances is confidence in your equipment. If you can do it on paper you can do it for real. Other thing is, practise, it can get a bit expensive but get out rabbiting with your deer rifle.

And to the second part I think is unfortunately this, a fox has no value, it doesn't matter to a lot if it run off never to be found. Not my view by the way. Everything deserves to be killed cleanly. If your not sure, don't shoot it's as simple as that.

Matt

PJ

My advice is stay well within your comfort zone for now, the one that suits your current experience and ability. Get plenty of stalking under your belt. Experiment and train with the different aspects of deer stalking/management. Study your deer and get familiar with your new piece of ground.

sit in your high seats with a range finder , get your mate to walk out to 100 yards and mark the spot (spray paint on a fence post ) and again at 200 . Practice at these ranges , carry a range finder and use it on deer so you know what they look like at different ranges

+1 for deer rifle on rabbits. a hit on any part of a rabbit with it should kill it fast, also most rabbits around my way are perfect size, rabbit body=fallow lung, rabbit head=deer heart.
    expensive but worth it
    Last edited by chunk; 11-12-2011 at 22:47. Reason: fox deserve same respect as deer

I would take shots now at distances that I would not have entertained 8 or 10 years ago. The advice is correct above, stay within whatever distance you are comfortable with be it only 125 - 150 yards.

Once you build up confidence both in yourself and your kit, you can stretch your legs a bit.

I shoot a fair few foxes and crows etc with a 22/250. Foxes at 200 yards are very achieveable, even standing of sticks. If I can get prone, I can go a lot further. My longest shot to date is a crow just beyond 400 yards. This gives great confidence when you then go to shoot deer. I don't make a habit of it, but I will drop the odd one out at around 300 yards, maybe once or twice a year. I have passed up shots at greater range, but I am pretty sure I could have got it done.

I should say it has taken me the thick end of 20 years to get to this point.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

thanks for replies so far. yes biggest concern is animal welfare. and as i said previously no regrets for not taking the shot. i also though get the feeling that this piece of land will require longer shots than i am used to. as far as not worrying if a fox runs on it would really concern me, but i would feel hard done by if one survived my 308.

as for rabbitng with my 308 it sounds like great fun but i think the land owners and bank manger may have something to say about that.

is it worth using my .22 out to say 125 150 yards just to get used to looking at a smaller target. i practice with my air rifle at about 55 feet. draw round a five pence piece and get five shots touching inside this. find it improves my gun handling but after this 100 yards shots look an awful long way away

I wouldnt use a 22 at those ranges , it can be done , but if you wound anything it has a hell of a headstart on you .