Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 278 meter neck shot

278 meter neck shot

Seems like an extremely risky irresponsible shot to take on a beast at that distance... watched a few of his other videos, similar stuff to that.

Think i would rather watch him disappear on his way rather than risk injuring him.

Having read the comment below the video:-

Hunting for sambar in New Zealand becoming harder and harder as they are pushed in ever more shrinking habitat and pressure from more aggressive Red deer for food and shelter.But if you are lucky and have a posy to hunt for them,then you are hunting the ghost of forest a very challenging and exciting hunt which you will remember for long time to come.Good and safe hunting.
    You have to ask, why hunt them if they are already under such pressure?

those chaps have a lot of vids on youtube and do some crazy things that most people wouldn't attempt over here.
    that stag is a lot bigger than it looks when it is walking

quite a shot

Looked low to me. Could hae cut the gut pipe and left the beast to starve to death.

Matt deer are vermin in nz, it is government policy to kill them by what ever means, even poison is used, thats why they shoot them

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Matt deer are vermin in nz, it is government policy to kill them by what ever means, even poison is used, thats why they shoot them
    Thats as may be but the deer still deserve more respect than shown. I call a neck shot taken at that range LUCKY!!! very LUCKY.

I am not saying the shot was right just the reason for hunting a species under pressure, no doubt a pump house shot would have been better.

That's the way they hunt out there though, not to all of our tastes for sure, I wouldn't have dreamt of shooting at a moving target until I tried Boar and Moose hunting. What's the drop at 280 yds in a 7mm rem mag, about 8-9" ??? I wouldn't be trying that shot, but if it were a choice between that or poisening, I know which I'd choose!

Tom

Tin hat, on !
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    I am not saying the shot was right just the reason for hunting a species under pressure, no doubt a pump house shot would have been better.
    +1 Ditto for helicopter shooting running reds with a .223 AR18 - very effective but a world apart, (literally), from stalking as we know it.

I met some forest rangers in Illinois who surrounded a herd of deer in an area with cwd, they all had ARs in 223 there attitude was let the firing begin. When in NZ I spoke to several pro stalkers and there most used rifle was the 222 on deer it's all about bullet placement.