Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nomad smock review.

Thumbs up Nomad smock review.

Dear all, a fair while ago I blatantly hi-jacked a thread to buy an as new Nomad Hooded Smock in Olive from Parastalker, bless him. I have lived with it for quite a while now and thought I might share my thoughts for those thinking of buying one, or anything from Nomad, as there are one or two who always decry them whenever they are mentioned.

I bought the smock for £100 which is considerably less than the £320 they are sold for by Nomad. I have used the smock both for stalking, beating, rugby watching and dog walking almost continuously since I bought it.

The smock is very well designed with open handwamer pockets and a zipped chest pocket on the left hand side. It has a large hood which caused me some concern to start with as it is only adjustable with an elasticated cord (with toggles) around the face, there is no adjustment at the back of the hood for depth of fit. However it is entirely suitable for using over a peaked cap flat or baseball type (if you must) and provides a very secure fastening that keeps out the elements well.

The smock is cut long and will protect the top of your legs if used with leggings. It is generously cut, unlined and very stretchy, ideal for layering. It is windproof, very waterproof and quite breathable. More breathable than any other membrane lined coat I have used other than gore-tex, which is quite a compliment. I have now worn it on three occassions when we have had torrential rain and have remained dry and cozy every time. Normal showers have no effect on it at all. A full length zipped model might be better for ventilation if used on warmer Autumn and Spring days.

To summarise, I do think they seem at first to be very expensive for such a utilatarian garment, but they are very breathable, well designed, quiet and supremely functional to use. If I can find some more Nomad items in the post Christmas sales at the right price I will buy them with confidence.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I have 3 Nomad smock/coat/jacket and the best advice i can give on them is to was them in 30 degrees MAXIMUM and don't use fabric conditioner as the tape on the glued seams detatch and its downhill from there. The zips catch the lining and can burst the zip which takes four months to repair due to the company using far easten folks to make them. In my opinion due to the build quality and lack of features they are probably twice the price that they should be....

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    I have 3 Nomad smock/coat/jacket and the best advice i can give on them is to was them in 30 degrees MAXIMUM and don't use fabric conditioner as the tape on the glued seams detatch and its downhill from there. The zips catch the lining and can burst the zip which takes four months to repair due to the company using far easten folks to make them. In my opinion due to the build quality and lack of features they are probably twice the price that they should be....
    I believed, and still do from what I have read, that any breathable membrane should never be washed with fabric conditioner as it blocks the breathable membrane's pores turning it into a plastic bag.

The zip goes nowhere near the lining on my smock, but they are not YKK zips which in my opinion are some of the best to be found on clothing, so I agree, they are not of the best quality.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Good review - what do you wash your Nomad gear in . I have pair thair plus 4s so far totally dry even after stalking in high heather and pouring rain in Pethshire recently. However I got them covered in blood carrying a Roe doe over my shoulder. Nomad recommended product seems a bit expensive and the makers website does not inspire my confidence.

I bought a Nomad Jacket and +3's two years ago, in the tweed effect they call stealth, I use them frequently during the cooler months as they can be a little too warm in the summer. Never cold or wet in them, even on one outing the jacket pockets filled with water but my shirt was bone dry. Likewise I use mine for all ocassions, i'm delighted with the performance and quality, price wise all i can say is they aren't cheap, but no more expensive than equal products by other manufacturers.

How breathable are they?, more or less than Gore-Tex?, Ridgeline?

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Dear all, a fair while ago I blatantly hi-jacked a thread to buy an as new Nomad Hooded Smock in Olive from Parastalker, bless him. I have lived with it for quite a while now and thought I might share my thoughts for those thinking of buying one, or anything from Nomad, as there are one or two who always decry them whenever they are mentioned.

I bought the smock for £100 which is considerably less than the £320 they are sold for by Nomad. I have used the smock both for stalking, beating, rugby watching and dog walking almost continuously since I bought it.

The smock is very well designed with open handwamer pockets and a zipped chest pocket on the left hand side. It has a large hood which caused me some concern to start with as it is only adjustable with an elasticated cord (with toggles) around the face, there is no adjustment at the back of the hood for depth of fit. However it is entirely suitable for using over a peaked cap flat or baseball type (if you must) and provides a very secure fastening that keeps out the elements well.

The smock is cut long and will protect the top of your legs if used with leggings. It is generously cut, unlined and very stretchy, ideal for layering. It is windproof, very waterproof and quite breathable. More breathable than any other membrane lined coat I have used other than gore-tex, which is quite a compliment. I have now worn it on three occassions when we have had torrential rain and have remained dry and cozy every time. Normal showers have no effect on it at all. A full length zipped model might be better for ventilation if used on warmer Autumn and Spring days.

To summarise, I do think they seem at first to be very expensive for such a utilatarian garment, but they are very breathable, well designed, quiet and supremely functional to use. If I can find some more Nomad items in the post Christmas sales at the right price I will buy them with confidence.

Simon
    +1 Fantastic bit of kit. I find mine is as waterproof as a goretex lined jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by chiron View Post
    Good review - what do you wash your Nomad gear in . I have pair thair plus 4s so far totally dry even after stalking in high heather and pouring rain in Pethshire recently. However I got them covered in blood carrying a Roe doe over my shoulder. Nomad recommended product seems a bit expensive and the makers website does not inspire my confidence.
    I use Tek-wash for all my breathable gear, I also useTX for re-proofing the garments.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse Keeper View Post
    How breathable are they?, more or less than Gore-Tex?, Ridgeline?
    I have not found anything as breathable than gore-tex, but the Nomad gear is more breathable than any of the other Moisture Vapour Transferable fabrics I have used. I would say it is not as breathable as Gore-Tex, but better than Deer-tex and far superior to Ridgeline gear which I am not impressed with at all. I bought some Ridgeline Roar trousers and they are useless unless you are just going to sit in a high seat, they are like wearing plastic bags on your legs. I rate my Nomad smock and look forward to the sales to buy some more of their gear.

Simon

No ! have to run with ridgeline on this one cracking bit of kit never been wet in mine have a mk1 and2 wash mine by wearing it in the rain
    Save Water Drink Single Malt

Quote Originally Posted by alaskagray View Post
    No ! have to run with ridgeline on this one cracking bit of kit never been wet in mine have a mk1 and2 wash mine by wearing it in the rain
    We will have to agree to differ on the ridgeline gear, my experience with two pairs of roar trousers do not equate to your statement in any way.

I now only have one pair of them left as all the taped seams came away on one pair, although the other pair are going strong. It just a shame they are not at all breatheable. Not in any way!

Simon