Shotgun/rifle switch barrels?

Munty Hunter

Not sure if this is the correct place to post it but i have been wondering. Having seen this weeks Fieldsports TV episode and Roy Luptons purchase of a double rifle.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a Shotgun/Rifle switch barrel? I don't mean one barrel of each but effectively a shotgun style action but with interchangeable barrels. Would it not be a nice tool for close range woodland and driven boar etc, and then with the ability to swap to shotgun (on another day).

Or am i a serious contender for dull question of the month?

Not sure if this is the correct place to post it but i have been wondering. Having seen this weeks Fieldsports TV episode and Roy Luptons purchase of a double rifle.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a Shotgun/Rifle switch barrel? I don't mean one barrel of each but effectively a shotgun style action but with interchangeable barrels. Would it not be a nice tool for close range woodland and driven boar etc, and then with the ability to swap to shotgun (on another day).

Or am i a serious contender for dull question of the month?
I think Blaser do a 28 bore barrel for the R93 rifle. If you can lay your hands on some old Holts or Sothebys catalogues you might find a London made SBS with interchangeable barrels or try Bill Harriman

Most European shotgun manufacturers make combinations and also double rifles with spare sets of shotgun barrels.

there is a kreighoff just down the road from me.....12bore and big rifle calibre for £5k on guntrader....wish i had the cash i really fancy a double rifle...the article in sproting rifle last month got me thinknig bout them..now after watching roy lupton with his mmmmm

sauer / paul

Pete Moore had a Merkel SxS Dbl rifle on test of course being a professional he knows how to handle them :rolleyes: twice for the camera he mounted the rifle to shoulder swung it around and pulled the triggers on empty chambers. An excellent example of what not to do for all to see.

I also wonder why the need for such a huge scope on a double rifle. To my mind it not only spoils the look but makes it more difficult to use. Notice the classy reloading technique ;) one would have thought that he would have at least practiced it a bit before filming it ........................................ and no I am not practiced at reloading a double rifle but then again I am not trying to show one off and review it am I :norty:.

There's no need to spend a fortune on this dream. The Harrington and Richardson (or is it now/still New England Firearms?) single shot, break open rifle is built on their shotgun frame and a shotgun barrel can be fitted. The problem would probably be finding one in UK.

Back