Thread: The Field - Jan '12

The Field - Jan '12

So I've just got my copy of The Field in the post, flip to the article on 'Cull those roe does efficiently' and the comment to the picture on page 60 is "Roe Does (Left) occasionally give birth in early April, so it is important to allow time for them to settle down after the winter cull".

A. is the middle deer not a buck?
    B. surely you'd be giving them time between February and April anyway, doe cull done, buck cull not starting for a good two months?

the does finish on the last day in march and the Bucks start first day of April. that's about 8 or 10 hours of darkness.

LOL! - I know mate

However, surely any respectful stalker would be leaving the does alone from early to mid february. I was referring to what you 'would do', not what you legally 'could do'. Anyone shooting older pregnant Does into mid/late February and March gets no respect from me and might as well go poaching with a lamp for a living. Kids from last year,,if you really have f'd up and not done your cull by mid feb and desperately need to, ok maybe, but sure as hell not older does.

say what you like, that's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    So I've just got my copy of The Field in the post, flip to the article on 'Cull those roe does efficiently' and the comment to the picture on page 60 is "Roe Does (Left) occasionally give birth in early April, so it is important to allow time for them to settle down after the winter cull".

A. is the middle deer not a buck?
    B. surely you'd be giving them time between February and April anyway, doe cull done, buck cull not starting for a good two months?
    A. It looks like a buck to me.
    B. You assume people finish their cull before March. Legally you can crack on till the end of March then start on the Bucks the next morning therefore zero down time. Dominic is anti this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    LOL! - I know mate

However, surely any respectful stalker would be leaving the does alone from early to mid february. I was referring to what you 'would do', not what you legally 'could do'. Anyone shooting older pregnant Does into mid/late February and March gets no respect from me and might as well go poaching with a lamp for a living. Kids from last year,,if you really have f'd up and not done your cull by mid feb and desperately need to, ok maybe, but sure as hell not older does.

say what you like, that's my opinion.
    the does are pregnant before they come into season

What anyone does on their ground is up to them as long as it's safe and legal.

I'd rather shoot a heavily pregnant Doe in March than orphan a Kid in November/December, You obviously have never culled Muntjac, Best practice is to only shoot heavily pregnant does as these will have older less dependant kids, and they never get a rest because they breed all year round. Do you shoot foxes? or Rabbits? Ever shot a milky doe or a vixen with bald nipples? Why should Roe be any different?

I don't have any Roe on my patch so I can't really talk but it wouldn't be a problem for me if I hadn't got my cull, to cull Does in March.

do you use larsen traps in the spring , shoot pigeon on laid corn , trap rats or squirrels ? its a bit of a can of worms isnt it

Mother nature is very hard. It doesnt decide to be gentle because a doe is pregnant or has dependant yooung.

It is our privilege to make decisions like this and so long as it is not against the law set by our community then let your conscince guide you.

You can put forward your arguments for and against but at the end of the day, it is the person with his finger on the trigger that makes the call.

Management and culling/pest dont always make good bed fellows too and if you have to pest control rabbits and foxes, the requirments become more pressing.

To the best of my knowledge, the size of the animal has no effect on the way nature works.