Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives for Parker-Hale Roll-Off Scope Mounts

Alternatives for Parker-Hale Roll-Off Scope Mounts

I use a vintage BSA short action in .22 Hornet (Regent model serial number starts with C1B****) and currently have it scoped via medium Parker-Hale roll-off mounts with a Pecar Champion 8x one inch. The mounts have seen better days and I have experienced some problems with scope creep. The action had no recoil stud holes drilled but I have remedied that via a rifle smith.
    I am still experiencing some problems and have yet to rule out a defect in the scope. All screws etc are tight. The rifle will shoot close when rested but then after a few rounds, the zero moves. I intend to try a different scope in the near future.
    I would like to try some modern steel mounts but have not been able to establish whether any modern manufacturers make mounts that would fit my BSA.
    If any members have resolved this problem or have suggested solutions, I would be appreciative to know of them.

Norm your not that far away if you want to try another set of rings give me a shout as I have a few sets on hand including a couple of one piece mounts that might fit.

For steel rings I used Hilvers but they need the recoil stud fitting. I made a P-H type one up and fitted it to a set for one of my rifles. Meanwhile my own Regent in .222 Rem has these on it:-

One of the P-H one piece mounts.

Normal P-H rings. Sorry not got a photo of a set of Hilvers fitted.

At least we can eliminate the rings moving and I also have a couple of scopes on hand so you could also try a different scope. As I say give me a shout if you wish to try before spending out on new bits.

just get some Mauser fit Leupold bases and screw them on.
    I hate RollOff mounts, especially when you have to bolt dovetails to the rifle to accommodate them

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/649/103647/leupold-standard-two-piece-bases-to-go-with-std-rings/
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/649...ith-std-bases/

Ahhh the BSA has dovetails machined in the receiver same profile as the Brno Zkk 600 series and CZ 550 except thebrno/CZ rings have that recoil lug and the BSA does not:-

You can see the lug, not fully seated in the photo , on this mount engages with the lug recess on the rear bridge on the ZKK series whilst the BSA have this type:-

Long action 1st Pattern Monarch which has a recoil stud recess in top of rear bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    just get some Mauser fit Leupold bases and screw them on.
    I hate RollOff mounts, especially when you have to bolt dovetails to the rifle to accommodate them

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/649/103647/leupold-standard-two-piece-bases-to-go-with-std-rings/
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/649...ith-std-bases/
    And yet you like to bolt this type of junk with the flimsy cone screws at the back???
    Threw this kind of stuff (leupold/redfield) away years ago!!!!

As I have pointed out before the Leupold mount is actually the Redfield Junior design which became popular because it was :-

A) Cheap unlike the previous mounting systems like Suhl claw or Jaeger, Griffin & Howe side mount amongst others.

B) Could be fitted by someone of average mechanical ability unlike the before mentioned mounts which required skill and often jigs.

The Redfield Junior mount came into being when lots of scopes did not have windage adjustment built into the scope only elevation and even then a lot were not calibrated for elevation. That being left to the gunmaker or gunsmith when he fitted the scope to calibrate for the ammunition specified by the client.

Things have improved on the optics front since those fairly early days. Sadly the methods of affixing mounts to rifles has not always kept up as let's face it Four tiny screws are not the best way to secure 1lb or more of expensive optical equipment under the duress of recoil and usage.

Integral dovetails are superior but as we see unfashionable with a lot of shooters which is why BSA dropped the dovetails from the 2nd Pattern Monarch so they could sell more of them in the US market as the dove tails and restricted choice of mounts was thought to be effecting sales there. Brno/CZ have continued with the integral dovetails and let's hope they continue to do so and perhaps it might, hopefully, educate some more shooters on scope mounts. I know it's a long shot but hey one can hope .

It's also noticeable that in Europe the use of stronger and often better mounting systems is still fairly common. Blocks are often sweated as well screwed on and rail mount scopes far more common in Europe than elswhere,

Many thanks to BH for info, clarification and kind offer. I made an enquiry with Sportsmatch Uk and received a very prompt and helpful reply, however their widest mounts are 19mm. I have measured the BSA and found it 19.8 to 20mm at the widest and 17.8mm in the narrowest point of the groove so the SportsMatch TO50C for the old BRNO's will not centre.
    Do the measurements quoted above give any members other ideas for available modern steel mounts ? Hope burns eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    And yet you like to bolt this type of junk with the flimsy cone screws at the back???
    Threw this kind of stuff (leupold/redfield) away years ago!!!!
    once tight I have never had them move.
    granted I have never needed to adjust them so they get get torqued up tight but if they had a bolt on rear ring assembly it would be better

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    Many thanks to BH for info, clarification and kind offer. I made an enquiry with Sportsmatch Uk and received a very prompt and helpful reply, however their widest mounts are 19mm. I have measured the BSA and found it 19.8 to 20mm at the widest and 17.8mm in the narrowest point of the groove so the SportsMatch TO50C for the old BRNO's will not centre.
    Do the measurements quoted above give any members other ideas for available modern steel mounts ? Hope burns eternal.
    Hmmm obviously you missed the mention of Hilver:-

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/pro...vetail+Systems

Yes they fit but also yes they need the recoil stud fitting. My offer still stands.

BH may thanks for the link, which took me straight to the 19mm BSA mounts. I did try searching Hilver as you previously advised but missed the particular mounts sought. This afternoon I have been trying a borrowed scope with my PH mounts and albeit at short range, things are looking promising. As soon as the weather settles I will be trying at 100 and 150 yds. Whilst I cannot yet be sure, it may well have been the vintage Pecar all along. I will keep posting progress. If no joy will take you up on a trip to Boston. Once again, many thanks for the info.