Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breathable warm jacket with a hood??

Breathable warm jacket with a hood??

Can anyone recommend a jacket for the winter.

It must be the following:
    Warm
    Have a hood that fits and is adjustable so it stays up and can be pulled around your face so it doesn't affect your view.
    Most importantly it must be breathable.

I will be wearing this jacket for walking around shooting, up and down hills and being a bit of a fat lad need a coat that's warm but breathable. I also do alot of ferreting so will be rolling around in hedges often as well as climbing over barbed wire fences.

It would also be brilliant if the jacket was waterproof as well, but have found in the past waterproof jackets aren't as breathable.

I currently have the pro hunter trousers made by harkila and think there great but didn't really want to spend 350 on a jacket for it to get ripped on hedges and barbed wire fences.

i got a Swanndri zip front a month or so ago. ive got to say im pleased with it been lamping tonight got caught in a downpour, dry as a bone.
    Warm whlist ive been ferreting and it doesnt seem to get caught up in brambles and hedges. just my two pence worth. ATB

Quote Originally Posted by THE GRIFF View Post
    Can anyone recommend a jacket for the winter.

It must be the following:
    Warm
    Have a hood that fits and is adjustable so it stays up and can be pulled around your face so it doesn't affect your view.
    Most importantly it must be breathable.

I will be wearing this jacket for walking around shooting, up and down hills and being a bit of a fat lad need a coat that's warm but breathable. I also do alot of ferreting so will be rolling around in hedges often as well as climbing over barbed wire fences.

It would also be brilliant if the jacket was waterproof as well, but have found in the past waterproof jackets aren't as breathable.

I currently have the pro hunter trousers made by harkila and think there great but didn't really want to spend 350 on a jacket for it to get ripped on hedges and barbed wire fences.
    Have a look at http://www.riverswest.com/ They have a UK office now. I find their kit amazing and the people in the UK are most helpful.

Also known as River sweat! Warm, waterproof and breathable - let us know when you find such a garment.

HME

Quote Originally Posted by HME View Post
    Also known as River sweat! Warm, waterproof and breathable - let us know when you find such a garment.

HME
    I said it would be good if it was waterproof, but breathability is more important. The plan being chucking a gortex smock in my bag for when it's tanking down!

Deerhunter ram its warm waterproof and breathable also has vent zips under the armpits which really help let moisture out nice touch, and has as many pockets as couple of pool tables it also gets no love as far a rough treatment goes seems to be taking all I can throw at it, my only complaints ? its a little on the heavy side and wish it had a wired hood but heck it works pretty well anyways, and if you shop around it can be had at good money got my last one new off the bay for less than a 100 squids good luck!!
    Last edited by dlz90; 12-12-2011 at 23:39.

Go this way:

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/Special_6_Shirt.htm

add the hood as an extra or go for the slightly longer parka. Used 'em for 15 years plus, great kit.

ive been using the pro hunter jacket for two years now and found it very reliable and no damage to it in that time
    pricey but why spend your money twice
    can only speak for myself but has been money well spent
    davy t

If it is non-cammo you want take a look at these

http://www.cotswoldcountry.co.uk/store/product/15984/Schoffel-Ptarmigan-Superlight-Coat-Olive-36/

(
    though you an find them a lot cheaper than that).

This is a superb coat - you could camp in it and mine has stood up to many years of beating through all sorts of bramble etc without any problems.

If cammo then look at the Musto Advantage Stalking Jacket. Again, superb, and like the Schoeffel I have never got cold or wet when wearing it. (Currently one cheap on ebay).

Both are Gore-tex and both have hoods.
    Last edited by Eyefor; 13-12-2011 at 09:38.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

deerhunter ram for me used in all weather not let me down yet. if i had the money harkila pro hunter, fyallraven stuff is very good to.