Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55

6.5x55

can anyone tell me if the 6.5x55 cal is a good cal for shooting a 1000 yards as i would like to use it for target shooting.

No it is totally **** for shooting at 1000 yards, a 6.5X55 has not won a major competition in the UK or USA for years to my knowledge, my mate used to shoot one and he used to load it so hot to try and compete with the 6.5X284 he had to hammer the bolt open.

Now I have wind up all the Swede owners, I will reply properly, firstly I am no expert and there are plenty of F-Class shooters about that will give you specific advice and this site is perhaps not the best one for advice so try this one, most of the best UK 1000 yard target shooters can be found there:-

UK-Varminting.com

I guess it depends what you want to do, if you already own a rifle in this calibre and just want to try shooting at that range at something informal then it will be fine, but then also will just about any other calibre of stalking rifle in 6.5, 270, 7mm, if that is what you own. 308s can be at their limit with the bullet going subsonic at that range if you don’t know what you are doing.

The most important thing is to learn to read the wind first and learn to readthe wind second and thirdly lean to read the wind. If you’re looking to build a competitive 1000 yard rifle then big 7mm cartridges are ruling the roost at the minute 7mm WSM being typical with 180gn VLD bullets although in the USA 6mm cartridges using 115/117gn VLD bullets doing well.

ATB

Tahr
    Last edited by Thar; 14-12-2011 at 11:15.

It's not so much the cartridge, it's the rifles chambered for it. It is a hunting cartridge these days. The 6.5 Hornady Creedmore is a new comer to the long range game and ballistically, not much different than the 6.5x55 but it is built in superior rifles. Rifles built for long range shooting.

As Thar says, shooting at 1000 yards is more the shooter than the weapon or cartridge. Unless you are serious about competing at a Grand, don't worry about the rifle. If you have a 6.5 take it out and shoot it at 1000 yards if that tickles you. You'll learn a lot.~Muir

Just give a thought to what scope you are going to use you may run out of elevation when you start to push out to 1000yrds.
    Also what power range of variable you need,low enough mag for stalking but high enough to still be able to compete at that distance.
    You could put 20 MOA rings or mount on the rifle but its all pushing the price up to be an also ran, as said already 6.5x55 will get you there
    but you are on the back foot against the 6.5/284 and all the 7mm BooBoo and other wildcats.

There is a girl at Diggle that is going very well with a Rem700 in .308 but she has to be pushing them pretty hard to be in the running,
    I know she is posting some good groups and has a very good load worked out for that rifle.

Also one of the guys that shoots tactical competes with a 6.5x55 and moderator, this is shot at 600yrds good fun.He is pushing 140grain bullets at 3000fps with little signs of pressure, but he will have accelerated barrel wear and more recoil so not the usual reason to have a swede.
    To be fair there are better cartridges out there to do such competitions but if you want to play with the rifle you,have give it a go.
    Last edited by dave 67; 14-12-2011 at 10:34.

I was thinking of this last night. I used to shoot 500M Metallic Silhouette comps. This is a not "target" shooting, but rather hitting steel cutouts at 200, 300, 375, and 500M off hand. (demanding in it's own right) The most fun i had shooting this competition was when I used my 7x57 hunting rifle. I didn't win a lot, but I had fun. I looked forward to every match. When I "got serious" the fun aspect faded away and it became more of a chore. I suspect that is why I gave up shooting competitively....~Muir

It's not so much the cartridge, it's the rifles chambered for it.
    Ahhhh Muir the Sauer 200 STR:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauer_200_STR

Is chambered as a standard offering in 6.5x55 ar e you suggesting it's not up to the job of long range competition? A cahp who shoots on Sundays at the Peepham Moor range near Lincoln has one which he brought new in 2010. I am sure if you ask and have the finance then Norman Clark will build a nice long range target rifle in 6.5x55. Steve Kershaw would likely do the same .

how about a Wolverine in 6.5x55? 'hunterscabin' here has one for sale with only 20 rounds through it,,as of 8/11/11 at least? you can always rebarrel to 6.5x284 when worn out - http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...-or-Mauser-M03

Brit I am sure Messrs Clarke and Kershaw would build a very good rifle. But if you told them you wanted it for 1000yrd bench rest I am sure they would be advising you to look at 6.5/284 or one of the 7mm going at hyper velocity.
    It would be a good rifle for a flat calm day 6.5x55, but as i said before you would have to get the speed up and then you would loose what the Swede is a low recoil sweet rifle to shoot. When the wind starts to blow the Swede looses out,the 6.5/284 and the 7mm have a quicker flight time so resulting in more consistent accuracy,if you are a jedi master at reading the wind then you will do well.
    You can compete but will you be competitive!

Look at what is shot in 1000yrd bench they don't shoot the rifles they do for no good reason,I for one would not want to be re barrelling as often as they do I could not afford it.
    Had a conversation with Vince Bottomley the other month, he was explaining about fire forming cases and the way he does it,interesting to hear a lot of the bench rest guys fire form without putting any bullets down the barrel as to form 100 cases it would take that life out of the barrel and after load development you could have used up to 1/3 of that one's accurate life!!
    Last edited by dave 67; 14-12-2011 at 18:43.

Oh wow ............................... guess I must have been ahead of the game then. Seriously lots of folks use tissue paper and fast powder to form cases. 16.0 grains of Howitzer Zero and two sheets of toilet tissue forms the 6.5x53R from cut down 303 brass.

As for bench rest I still wonder why they don't just bolt then down to concrete stanchions a 6mm rifle weighing in excess of 13lbs is to my minds artillery not a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Ahhhh Muir the Sauer 200 STR:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauer_200_STR

Is chambered as a standard offering in 6.5x55 ar e you suggesting it's not up to the job of long range competition? A cahp who shoots on Sundays at the Peepham Moor range near Lincoln has one which he brought new in 2010. I am sure if you ask and have the finance then Norman Clark will build a nice long range target rifle in 6.5x55. Steve Kershaw would likely do the same .
    Well. Heck yes, Kevin. There are target rifles in 6.5x55 but MOST of them are hunting guns. Anything can be had for a price!! ~Muir