Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abolishing out of season shooting

Abolishing out of season shooting

I heard from a reliable source SNH are trying to bring in a ban on out of season shooting from January of next year so in effect know one not even landowners can have a shoot to kill policy, no more if its brown its down.
    Has anyone else heard this?

Regards
    Alan

This is true it was brought up at the Lowland Deer Conference and will come in to effect in April 2012. But this will not stop out of season for any one with any resemblance of a problem they only need to ask and they will receive.

I was also at the Lowland Deer conference and as far as i could make out SNH will be proactive in reagrds to "out of season" licence issueing!

I also heard a similar story, but decision makers move the goal posts as and when it suits them we will wait and see!

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

From what I was told there will not be liciences issued even if a problem exists as they no longer consider it to be humane in culling operations so from what i understand its the end of blanket culling irrespective of sex ,species or age

Rudy 65,

So you will need a licence to shoot out of season even if it is in a fenced plantation? So is SNH pushing for an amendment to the Deer Act and has it been passed, if it is to take affect from April then it would need to go before parliment soon?? If you need a licence from SNH then I guess you will have to be on the fit and compitent register? Another great big push to make stalking qualifications mandatory.

I'll ask SNH and see....
    Last edited by aliS; 13-12-2011 at 12:27.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    From what I was told there will not be liciences issued even if a problem exists as they no longer consider it to be humane in culling operations so from what i understand its the end of blanket culling irrespective of sex ,species or age
    Ha Ha, yes I will believe that when I see it. FC make far too much money from this to allow that to happen and will have been consulted from day 1 when SNH considered it.
    In practice I think you will find this is likely to be an administrative exercise where the costs of applying for the license will go up but I doubt very much you will see a reduction in FC cull numbers other than by the fact that there are no more deer for them to shoot on the land they apply that figure to.

I spoke with an FC stalker who has not been able to his his cull figure in D&G for the last two years. shooting 24x7x365
    Was the cull figure adjusted?
    No.

Conditional licences will still be available.............

I think Alis you will find the deer act is in the process at this minute of being amended the new legislation has already been passed and went through as part of the Wayne bill.
    Projections and thoughts for the future from my self that it will not be to many years before The deer arm of SNH join the deer arm of FC in fact they are already inseparable.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    I heard from a reliable source SNH are trying to bring in a ban on out of season shooting from January of next year so in effect know one not even landowners can have a shoot to kill policy, no more if its brown its down.
    Has anyone else heard this?

Regards
    Alan
    totally the wrong information
    The out of season is going back to ISSUED licence which will be issued by SNH as will the night shooting Licence effective of 1 January 2012 but not IN FORCE till April 2012

Sorce of the Information was at the LDNS meeting in Peebles as part of a series of questions I asked to Robbie Kernahan manager of SNH wildlife operations team.
    I will ask if and when the information will be made public ,and post all the relevent details l as they are published .