Thread: Scottish Wildcats

Scottish Wildcats

I'm really interested in photographing the Scottish wildcat are there any of you guys based in Scotland that can offer help or information on this elusive and beautiful cat? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. If you don't wish to post then please PM me, your information will be kept a secret.

Thanks.

Matt

you can see wild cats in the forests south of aviemore to newtownmore but don't know who to speak to, there used to be a lot up strathdearn from tomatin and novar estate at evanton, but who to speak to i don't know, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by somerled333 View Post
    you can see wild cats in the forests south of aviemore to newtownmore but don't know who to speak to, there used to be a lot up strathdearn from tomatin and novar estate at evanton, but who to speak to i don't know, sorry.
    Thank you thats a start.

Matt. The wildcat is so rare and elusive now that I fear you may look for years ,even in an area with a confirmed population before you would have the chance of a photograph. In the sixties gamekeepers would regularly catch them in fox snares laid round the then new plantations of commercial trees. Now no-one sees them. Not that I think thats the reason. Two years ago I went out to a high area on the border of my land and next door. I intended to sit on a huge cairn of rocks to look for a hill Roebuck. When I sat down I caught a movement below me and saw four kittens sunning on a grass bank. I stood up very slowly but was spotted and they dashed under the cairn. When I went down to the den enterance it was littered with grouse wings and blue hare paws. I told an old guest who comes here to take wildlife pictures and he got very excited. He said to his knowledge that scene had never been photographed. Although based in N. Ireland he was here in a day but when we went out to the hill the den was deserted. I have not seen them since. Next door applied for planning to instal a small hydro to power the house and had to get a Wildcat survey done. The company who carried out this very expensive exercise concluded that no Wildcats lived in this area! I know its not the same thing but Kincraig Park near Aviemor have a captive breeding programme that is open to the public. Here you could photograph Wildcats in a near to natural enclosure. Good luck . Lets us know how you get on. David

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

David,

That must have been one hell of a sight that you were lucky to witness. I couldn't ever think of photographing captive bred wildcats but thank you for the suggestion. I'll get there one way or another.

Thanks Eyefor but I've been replying to that thread and started this thread before it.