Cleaning optics

Dovebob

All,

I've been out in the rain a few times recently and the lenses of my scope and bins have got wet a few times. There are no big lumps of grit or soil as far as I can tell. However, a film of residue from dried out raindrops has developed.

I would like to clean this off, but am concerned about damaging the glass or removing the expensive coatings that the optics manufacturers tell us so much about. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but the scope is a Hungarian 8 x 56 S&B and the bins are Kahles 10 x 42s.

I'd be very grateful to hear the best way to clean them. I was tempted to go at them with some spit and a hanky, but thought better of it.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Bob

I give mine a blow out with compressed air, I have an airline but you can buy an aerosol from any computer shop such as PC world or Staples.

I also have one of those soft make-up brushes that wife uses for foundation, these are great for loosening any bits that may have accumulated around the seal.

Once you are convinced there is no contamination remaining on the lenses I the twist a soft tissue into a tube and tear it in half to reveal soft edges and simply breathe onto the lense and wipe, no chemicals needed and really does do a great job.

Nearly all lenses are scratched by people cleaning lenses contaminated with grit on the lense or using a dirty cloth.

ATB

Neil

Last edited:
The brush and air ideas are great though I would avoid using any paper based material, soft cotton and breath is imho better. Avoid a lense pen at all costs, one bit of grit under that pad causes total destruction as I found to my disapointment.

I use a cleaning kit designed for my digital camera backs. One bottle holds a very mild detergent (no not Cillit Bang !!) and the other alcohol, soft lint free wipes included are used once and then ditched. So if you can find a CCD / CMOS cleaning kit great if not there should be a similar product avaialble for camera lenses and don't forget use the wipes included once then sling 'em.

I give mine a blow out with compressed air, I have an airline but you can buy an aerosol from any computer shop such as PC world or Staples.

I also have one of those soft make-up brushes that wife uses for foundation, these are great for loosening any bits that may have accumulated around the seal.

Once you are convinced there is no contamination remaining on the lenses I the twist a soft tissue into a tube and tear it in half to reveal soft edges and simply breathe onto the lense and wipe, no chemicals needed and really does do a great job.

Nearly all lenses are scratched by people cleaning lenses contaminated with grit on the lense or using a dirty cloth.

ATB

Neil

Never use tissue to clean a lens, it will damage them.
Buy a microfibre cleaning cloth.

Thanks for all of your advice on this - much appreciated.

I will invest in some cleaning goodies.

Cheers,

Bob

hi i was told by zeiss to clean the lens with deionised water only as tap water attacks the coatings as do other lens cleaner solutions ?????

dont no if its true but hey such is life :)

a good blow and wipe with a tissue, Ive had my scope for many years and there isnt a scratch on it and the coating is like new.

Dont believe all the scare stories.

If you like your gadgets then try ebay for a lens brush.

a good blow and wipe with a tissue, Ive had my scope for many years and there isnt a scratch on it and the coating is like new.

Dont believe all the scare stories.

If you like your gadgets then try ebay for a lens brush.

No scare stories involved, but if you really like to clean your lens with processed wood, have at it.
Personally I will never use tissue paper on any lens, I have seen the damage it does.

Of course we have seen all good scope manufacturers supply and recommend kitchen / bog paper to clean their expensive anti-reflection coatings eh?
Incredible really, throw away the supplied cleaning cloth and use khazi paper...

Forget lens brushes, complete waste of time.
Wash the lens - it will flush the crap away without dragging it around the lens.
A microfibre lens cloth will 'lift' the crap away from the lens with less chance of damage
instead of pushing it around like a broom.

At the end of the day this is only a little advise on how to care for your expensive glass!
If you are comfortable on using the same stuff that you wipe your ass with well, what can I say? :eek:

I use that "processed wood" to wipe my arse and its never posed a problem.

If its good enough for my hoop its good enough for my glass.

Back