Thread: DOGS and blood for training

DOGS and blood for training

Hi i been ask to collect blood for dog training. Can anyone tell me what to put in it
    to stop it going solid. I din't need it when i trained my dog. I simply shot a deer and
    let the dog find it.Gave him good praze.Then every time we shot one he was called
    in and he soon got the message. I use a harness when the harness goes on he now
    knows that its deer we are after . A chest shot runner in cover is the best to train with.
    regards brian

After collecting blood I mix it 50/50 with water, give it a quick blast with an electric hand blender and then bottle and freeze it. When you require it just unfreeze, use as much as is necessary and refreeze the rest.

Certainly would not recommend your method of training but if it has worked for you and your dog......

Those tubes for urine samples are the best but anything with a air tight lid. It's better in small amounts in a few small containers so you can freeze it and just get one out when you need it.
    You also put salt in it to stop it coagulating.
    Matt.

Use the freezer bags where there are multi compartments as used for making ice for whiskey cost nowt and break off what you need for the day.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    Use the freezer bags where there are multi compartments as used for making ice for whiskey cost nowt and break off what you need for the day.
    Martin
    That's a brilliant idea.
    Just make sure you don't get them mixed up and drop a couple of the wrong ones in ya single malt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    After collecting blood I mix it 50/50 with water, give it a quick blast with an electric hand blender and then bottle and freeze it. When you require it just unfreeze, use as much as is necessary and refreeze the rest.

Certainly would not recommend your method of training but if it has worked for you and your dog......
    I did mean a proper chest shot as recommended by best practice.They will often run many yards before they drop which gives the dog a strike point . Cover is usefull so the dog doesn't see it.You can then work the trail .Very good for those that have been poorly shot or hit by a car.This is for dog's that have done all the basic training of course. I shoot a lot of deer so animals are always available. But thanks for your comments.
    Last edited by woodfordfallow; 14-12-2011 at 18:52.