Goose killer lurking in London waterways........

Yes, if I lived up that way i would be out there with a very big lure. I suspect its a big pike (30+lb). Many years ago I caught a lean pike of approx 15lb and when we unhooked it we retieved a moorhens leg from it. I have known relatively small pike take coots, but it would be a big pike to nooble a goose.

Could concievably be an otter re a report that they were now in the riner Lea.

D

Would an otter seriously be able to pull a Canada under like that ?
If a catfish what size would that be ?

A dog otter is a big animal so yes I'd think so. A 50lb catfish has a bloody big mouth!

i would put my money on a pike i have had large pike and the jaw size is huge ,catfish shouldnt be feeding now they stop there feeding cycle as its too cold ,atb wayne

Pike can take surprisingly large birds. I was once fishing on a reasonably small pond in Denmark with my uncle. He caught an 18.1 kg pike, which we had seen on a couple of occasions take full grown mallards off the surface...well, at least we suspect that to be the one:eek:

We never took pictures, but it made a phenomenal 'pike pate' in fact:D

Here's a picture of a similar sized pike taken in sweden (off google), just for comparison...canadian goose, no problem! http://www.fishingfury.com/20090306/huge-zalt-pike/

"This impressive pike was 53 inches (135cm) long and 42lbs (19.1kg)"....

...and DEAD.
:(

trust me, in Scandinavia there's PLENTY to go around,,caught pike = dead pike;) you wouldn't catch a fox, give it a tickle, then let it go either:doh:

Pike can take surprisingly large birds. I was once fishing on a reasonably small pond in Denmark with my uncle. He caught an 18.1 kg pike, which we had seen on a couple of occasions take full grown mallards off the surface...well, at least we suspect that to be the one:eek:

We never took pictures, but it made a phenomenal 'pike pate' in fact:D

Here's a picture of a similar sized pike taken in sweden (off google), just for comparison...canadian goose, no problem! http://www.fishingfury.com/20090306/huge-zalt-pike/

Cracking looking pike! But there's not a 40lb pike in the river Lea.

I would put my money on a catfish, I used to fish a lake and caught them to over 50lb, ducks and goslings were regularly taken, never saw an adult goose though but I cant see why one couldnt take a goose, they are a big powerful predator, there were no pike in the lake either, the cats would shut down around this time of year but in a river they may well keep going all year round, albeit a bit slower in the colder months

mike

Snapping turtle would be my guess and capable of becoming absolutely huge,it would take a goose without a ripple!

M

Back