Thread: Double Rifles and Ballistic Tip Bullets

Double Rifles and Ballistic Tip Bullets

Really good couple of pieces on the Field Sports Britain Chanel last week - - so you can watch it.

First bit was on building Double Rifles and the Chapuis Factory.

2nd bit was on shooting foxes with Norma / Hornady ballisitc tip bullets in 223 / 22-250. They shot a number and then x-rayed and carried out post mortems to show the fragmentation effect of a ballistic tip bullet. I will avoid the incoming over using BT bullets on deer - my only comment is how far bullet fragments spread, but equally how a 55gn bullet is effectively completly stopped by a fox so not much chance of ricochet etc.

Both very intersting bits.

I decided that I'd quite like the job of double rifle tester at Chapuis - the bloke who lurked on the undergound range and fired all the new guns to check they were accurate. For a while at least!

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    I will avoid the incoming over using BT bullets on deer - my only comment is how far bullet fragments spread, but equally how a 55gn bullet is effectively completly stopped by a fox so not much chance of ricochet etc.
    Thanks for posting - really interesting clips.

Just so that those who are not familiar with the different types of BT or polymer tipped bullets don't get the wrong idea. There's a world of difference between a thinly skinned 55gr .22 BT bullet - a V Max, SX or Super Explosive 'varmint' type - and a BT hunting bullet designed for shooting deer.
    Last edited by Orion; 14-12-2011 at 14:25.

Good point Orion. Those Norma bullets are designed to fragment and bear in mind there is not a lot to a fox. I am not sure if one of those bullets would even penetrate the rib cage of a deer. No probs if threaded between two ribs, I suppose, but if it hit a rib would you get to heart / lungs? I doubt it.

Very much a question of using the right bullet for the right job. I will amend the thread title!

although a deer round wont fragment as much as a varmint round.
    You are gona get some !
    a nosler partion will give you about 70% weight retention(estimate)which means 30% is going in your meat !
    Which is why i use barnes only on game now ! near 100% weight retention.

I use Nosler Partitions for game through the rifles,..... but I eat right up to the the bullet hole, whatever it's been shot with,I'm too old to worry about lead poisoning.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!