Thread: Headstamps

Headstamps

Hi ive just picked up some Federal v-shok in 223 off a chap ,On quick check they had the blue seal on the primer cap, But when i got home i noticed the head stamps there were numbers =date , LC and the circle with the cross NATO mark , i know LC is lake city army ammo plant Missouri Which is owned by Federal i believe , But my other Federal is marked FC 223 REM which is Federal minnesota plant , Is it possible due to the high demand Federal have made there 223 at both plants (hence nato markings) But boxed as Federal v-shok thanks gb

I've no idea whether Federal have switched production, but I can confirm that the cheaper Federal 'cooking ammo' V-Shok brand (blue annulus) has LC Nato cases. Federal load their own bullets in these so it's about the Remington Corelokt standard.

Beware that this change will almost certainly mean they now have crimped-in primers. I've noticed this in the recent supply.

The Premium lines loaded with Sierra/Speer/etc. bullets are a bit more pricey, and usually have a red annulus. It's usually stamped Fed CC, and is reloadable.

FC 223 is an older headstamp, and is usually commercial FMJ sold in bulk (cardboard cartons) to law enforcement outfits, and Golden Eagle FMJ sold to the gun trade. This has crimped primers too.

I've got all of these. They all weigh the same, and quality appears to be identical.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I had some Federal blue primer jobs and they deprimed OK.
    not sure if they are all different

The ones ive picked up are older dated 08 , So Federal ammo can for BOTH military and commercial use be stamped LC date and Nato circle/cross aswell as FC 223 REM,,, both are nosler tipped and blue on the primer and my premium marked FC REM 223 are new @ 28 a box
    Last edited by bongo; 14-12-2011 at 17:13.

Reading all this it looks like Federal are now using whatever cases they've got for military and commercial ammo. I've come across Federal PowerShok (blue box) headstamped LC 09, and bulk FC 223, both of which had crimped primers.

It's a safe bet that the primer pocket crimp is applied during production. Cases so treated deprime without resistance (unlike RG) but you'll soon know what you've got when you try to reprime them. It looks like once-fired Federal need to be checked no matter what the headstamp is?

Ive not chanced it and returned them to the chap not a shop as he got stroppy when asked , not worth the risk even poss homeloads which i can do myself . But thanks for all your help atb gerry

Yes, it's surplus military brass. Over here in the States, we're starting to see milsurp .223 hit the market at ridiculous prices (again). $6.50 for 20 rds, boxed in military card board, with Federal markings and plastic divider inserts (versus on a stripper clip). Only downside is that it is military crimped (primer crimp). Sounds like your stuff is just using the surplus casings, run through a civilian production cycle (without the additional step of primer crimping)..

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Yes, it's surplus military brass. Over here in the States, we're starting to see milsurp .223 hit the market at ridiculous prices (again). $6.50 for 20 rds, boxed in military card board, with Federal markings and plastic divider inserts (versus on a stripper clip). Only downside is that it is military crimped (primer crimp). Sounds like your stuff is just using the surplus casings, run through a civilian production cycle (without the additional step of primer crimping)..
    Sounds possible that the cases have run through civvie production , but im thinking more homeloads the more i think about it

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    but im thinking more homeloads the more i think about it
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The brass is the same quality no matter what the headstamp is, but it's no longer possible to predict whether or not Federal ammunition in .223 is readily reloadable. As that's a factor in the purchase, I would recommend that you examine it before buying.

The reason I say this is that Federal have now started to offer cases for reloading, which they haven't done before. This would be easier to deal with than once-fired which will need much more work.