load testing with or without moderator on advice please!!

pete

having my last go at reloading 243 ive done some 95grn hornaday sst with hornaday brass, cci primer ive made 39grn, 40grn, 41grn with vithtavuori N160 and going to test on saturday through my sako A2. do i keep moderator on or take it off ? (Mod is a T8)

Thanks pete

The mod can make a hell of a difference in the point of bullet impact. I've seen a 4-5 inch difference. SO as said above - if you're going to be shooting with the mod on develop your load with the mod on. And if you've got a mod why wouldnt you be shooting with it. I had to butcher my sauer for a mod so i could shoot forestry land and it now looks worse without it on - and it'll never be the same without a frontsight :eek:(

If you intend to shoot the rifle with the mod on why would you take it off to load test?
+ 1 set up your load development with the mod on. my point of aim changes if the mod is removed but on range at the weekend i saw a rifle that would not group at all with a new moddie on it yet loads were sub half inch with it off.

Shoot your rifle as you would when out stalking. There are many things that affect barrel harmonics. Also load some more rounds at 39.5 and 40.5 I have had a one hole goups on a half measure. My load development now goes 40, 40.3, 40.5, 40.7, 40.5, 40.7, 41........

You would be amazed at the difference in results. I only put 3 shots down for my stalking rifles but its well worth the effort.

I keep the mod on most of the time and always whilst doing any range work.

As most of my stalking is woodland and by it's nature well under 100yds, I sometimes remove the mod to save length and weight. However I always check zero in the configuration I am going to use the rifle at least the day before.

+ 1 set up your load development with the mod on. my point of aim changes if the mod is removed but on range at the weekend i saw a rifle that would not group at all with a new moddie on it yet loads were sub half inch with it off.

was the new moddie a TLD by any chance?

tested on sat with mod on and need more load development as you say scotch_egg thanks all, merry xmas and a happy new year to all

Back