Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla owners?

rigboot

Evening gents,

I have been thinking of getting another dog for a long time now and all roads are leading towards a Hungarian Wirehair Vizsla

My shooting is 60% stalking, 40% game (walked up rough and duck flighting) and I’m looking for a new companion to assist with both.

The rough shooting isn’t a full on season as I work overseas and usually miss about half our days but my stalking is more frequent.

Just doing some research now and looking for general info from any of the forum members who work and own a HWV and for pointers on any breeders who you could recommended to contact for a working HWV in mind.

I have 2 dogs at present (labxpoodle & a whippet) who both have a truly wonderful nature and are a joy with the kids but the labxpoodle just isn’t game/gundog material if im honest and more of my wifes pet. The whippet is used for occasional rabbiting/ferreting with my oldest son and has high prey drive & not really got the characteristics of a suitable dog for deer i.e. scenting/patience at a high seat etc

From what I’ve read of the Wirehair Viszla’s, they seem to fit the bill with my shooting and although it’s not a major factor, I also think they are lovely dogs as does my misses (got to keep the boss in mind here :) )

I’m in no immediate rush but would like to hear of your experiences, good or bad, of this breed , especially training & bringing on for stalking

Look forward to any input

Cheers

rb

I will be interested to also read posts about this breed - would love one, but have always been put off as they are yet another hpr that are "not suitable for inexperienced gundog owners". We've had a dog before, but not a dedicated gundog...

you want to speak to Roy Bebbington of Gongos Wire Hair vizlas

http://www.gonegoswirehairedvizslas.moonfruit.com/

he has probably some of the best working strain wirehairs in the country....i wanted one 4 yrs ago and again research fitted my bill but then wife was pregnant and then again !!! and i too work offshore so 2 kids within a year and me away ...it will have to wait.

i went to see his dogs down in yorkshire and he a very friendly guy and took my to see them working with the hawk

there is another guy o n west side in preston....my mate went down last week to see pups hes taking one...think he only has a dog left i can try to find out details of the guy if you like but i know he imported one of his dogs from hungary same as roy bebbington did.

from what i understand a few of them on the go but actually getting working blood lines instead of show dogs can be a problem so be aware....Roy mad a big point of showing me his dogs working.

someday soon i hope il might have one

sauer/ paul

Hi RB

I have 1 HWV from the Gonegos kennel and 1 HWV from another kennel both sired by Zoldmali Dukat. 1 is 21 month old now and the other 14 months and both cracking dogs on deer, I dont use them for anything else purely because Im not into game shooting. My pals have them and they do everything they came out of the Lanspar kennel. My two have totally different styles in tracking deer the elder of the two is very aggressive and determined towards deer which is a good trait on wounded deer and the other one is more timid and methodical but both get the same result.

Quite easy to train but as with any dog they are very clever and will soon pick up bad habits if your not careful. They are a thinking dog and will quickly learn to hunt for themselves if not controlled!

With regards to there sensitive nature, with my elder dog thats just not the case but the other dog is very timid, they can be totally ruined just like any dog if your too hard on them.

I dont know if Roy has any planned litters, but give him a bell he is very friendly and will point you in the right direction. Alternatively my friend is planning a litter which will be docked / dew claws removed etc. The bitch is out of Lanspar Reti Purge and the Sire will be a Hungarian import. I can pm you if and when the mating goes ahead if you want ?

And I know you say you and your missus like the look of the breed be aware there is a huge variation in the coat, some breeders dont tell you that! My eldest dog has very good wire coat whilst the younger dog is practically a smooth hair. So you cannot guarantee that you will end up with a proper wirehair coat, and its very hard to tell when there puppies.

The term Velcro dog is very true with the HWV they love nothing better than being with you and can be very vocal if left alone. Before I aquired my other dog the eldest dog hated being in his kennel but once we got the other dog they are both as happy as a pig in "#¤% and are out side full time.

And finally I work a month on/off rotation abroad and my very understanding wife looks after them whilst Im away, they probally get away with murder when my wife has them but they know whos boss when Im home and act accordingly.

Hope this helps

I did alot of research before I bought mine, his sire and dam are both Zoldmali imports from some of the finest working lines:-| Mine looks like a smooth Viz ie no coat, slight frame, timid nature and took months before I could get him to travel in the car without throwing up everywhere. On the plus side he is a very good game finder, lovely retriever and great with the kids. Desperate to be with you and wants to be included in everything, I struggle to keep weight on him, whatever goes in the front twice as much comes out the back!
Check out any potential health issues with the breed and go and see a few breeders to see what they have, there are some very nice dogs out there guess I was unlucky, btw they not cheap, I paid £900 for mine inc his tatoo:doh:

ATB,

Gerard.

Evening gents,

I have been thinking of getting another dog for a long time now and all roads are leading towards a Hungarian Wirehair Vizsla

My shooting is 60% stalking, 40% game (walked up rough and duck flighting) and I’m looking for a new companion to assist with both.

The rough shooting isn’t a full on season as I work overseas and usually miss about half our days but my stalking is more frequent.

Just doing some research now and looking for general info from any of the forum members who work and own a HWV and for pointers on any breeders who you could recommended to contact for a working HWV in mind.

I have 2 dogs at present (labxpoodle & a whippet) who both have a truly wonderful nature and are a joy with the kids but the labxpoodle just isn’t game/gundog material if im honest and more of my wifes pet. The whippet is used for occasional rabbiting/ferreting with my oldest son and has high prey drive & not really got the characteristics of a suitable dog for deer i.e. scenting/patience at a high seat etc

From what I’ve read of the Wirehair Viszla’s, they seem to fit the bill with my shooting and although it’s not a major factor, I also think they are lovely dogs as does my misses (got to keep the boss in mind here :) )

I’m in no immediate rush but would like to hear of your experiences, good or bad, of this breed , especially training & bringing on for stalking

Look forward to any input

Cheers

rb

Hi rigboot

Have a look at www.gonegoswirehaire.co.uk web site roy is a very good friend of mine and I have seen his dogs work very well for falconry, shooting and stalking. I see one of his dogs work on tracking deer on the Fort william estate. and in the afternoon they were shooting grouse over it.

Regards
Paul

Hi rb
I have a 5 year old bitch that is a pleasure to own. I started out with the intension of trialling her. She won her first working test when she was 12 months old and doing well in mock field trials by 18 months. I then fell out with trialling and just concentrated on making her into a quality shooting companion. Since then shes picked up on large shoots,I've shot grouse over her, worked for hawks, retrieved geese out of the Humber an found dozens of deer. The deer training bit was the easiest by the way. A truly versatile dog.
Cheers Matt.

Gents,

Thank you very much for the information, links and letting me know your findings with the HWV's

I will indeed contact the breeders suggested for more info but I can say it's definately a HWV I/we will be going for in the future, ticks all the boxes and good to hear of the versatility of the breed outwith stalking.

Now, here's a request & a chance to show your dogs off and post some pics if you get the chance :D

Your input is very much appreciated

Cheers

Rb

Iv no idea how to get photos off my phone on to here so if you want to pm me an email address il send you some.
Matt.

amberdeer1basic.jpg

Like any new breed they came in with quite a few coat variations from wolly to smooth but some type of consistency is now starting to show but the odd smooth and the odd wolly still comes into the litters. The wireviz a deerstalkers dream dog and they aint been in the country that long.
Ps cap locks stuck

Back