This weeks Fieldsports Britian episode - Ballistic tips and head shooting

I do practise head shooting in certain situations, but the shot taken at the roe doe with its head turned back towards itself was a very foolish shot to take, followed up by shooting the "trophy" muntjac in the guts, what a load of crap.

Having featured on the same episode I sat and watched in utter disbelief at the shots that were taken - I'm utterly speechless! A headshot roe, taken whilst grooming itself and a spine shot munty, then some footage of a headless munty, what in Gods name are they thinking?

HME

I would not have taken that shot on the Roe doe. I know camera angles can be deceiving, but this does not look like a good backstop.

These programmes are watched by people who want to learn and by showing this footage it shows that taking a shot into a group of trees is a safe thing to do. Which it is definitely not.

They should only show shots where there is a good safe backstop. Actually, nobody should take a shot unless there is good safe backstop.

Last edited:
In my opinion head shooting's a NO NO.

Where's the safe backstop !!! is it the trees in the background, I think not :cuckoo: DEFINITELY NOT.

I'm actually surprised they would air shooting like this.

Rgds, Buck

From what iv seen of the programme, there not bothered what they show just as long as there advertising something, usually the most expensive kit on the market. Just one big advert now. Jobs for the boys.

I don't normally like to jump on the condemnation bandwagon, but the shot placement on the Munty buck was awful, much too high and way to far back. There is no way any organ other than the stomach was hit with that palcement.

The head shot on the Roe was well taken, but the back ground looked dubious in the camera, it might have been different on the ground.

From what I saw, that ground would be well served with a few high seats, shooting prone along an undulating ride is a disaster waiting to happen. There seemed to be a fair bit of dead ground there.

overall feeling of being underwhelmed. Where do they get this idea of trophy hunters in the UK and picking a bullet which doesnt damage the hide.. first time ive heard of it!! No wonder the munty dropped on the spot as he spine shot it.. fine, tell us that the shot was a little high and 'spined' it but dont feed me bulls*it like saying it was shot right through the vitals which killed it on the spot.. So basically Norma think that we need two types of bullets, those for head shots and those to not damage the cape.. I feel that my intelligence was insulted by FSTV and it leaves a bitter taste.

Watched it without any sound, much better that way?

Not much into safe backstops are they?

Pretty poor in my opinion!

Just watched the deer bit in UTTER disbelief!!!
The Roe grooming could have turned again in an instant.
The Munty appeared to be skylined and was shot from prone!!!!!!:cuckoo: As for vital organs - I doubt a full length oblique spine shot would have hit too many of those. I doubt it was even fit for zoo animal consumption.
Never have I witnessed such a poor display of deer management, and this is suposed to be worthwhile viewing???!!!:eek:
What on earth are they thinking of?:evil:
MS:(

what the hell was that, head shot when grooming that's madness, 'trying to save on meat damage' just stupid when the body is behind the head! and backstop omg

In fairness to FSTV neither Charly or David are shooters/stalkers in a serious sense. I had a long chat with David about what thy were doing with that idiot Oliver Preston and told them what the likely outcome would be. As it happens I was proved absolutely correct. I explained that what Norma were trying to prove was also misleading especially for the UK market. I really hope that it won't backfire on FSTV but only on the individual who incidentally paid quite a lot for the coverage.

HME

Ps. Incidentally, FSTV approached me before anyone jumps in.

HME, thanks for the info on that, however ignorance is no excuse really, especially when they either asked your PoV or you told them how it was and they still aired it. If Charlie and David aren't up to speed on subjects then you would expect them to take more notice of experienced people.

Next time you see them, tell them to stop concentrating on swarovski this and blaser that and norma this and actually get a sensible content in the episode, then advertise on the back of that.

FF
Sadly, money talks. There was a lot of footage of my operation that I would have liked in there such as the training side but I wasn't paying. The first episode about Norma almost didn't happen because idiot Oliver kept calling the Norma ammo "ballistic tips". I pointed this out to David and told him that he 58 round they were using was actually a V max made by Hornady and "ballistic tip" is a trademark of Nosler - should have seen his face!

If looking at FSTV a year ago they have come on in leaps and bounds so hopefully it will keep going forward. Incidentally, I had no intentions whatsoever of shooting an animal for the camera, that's not my thing.

HME

As you say, its improved but they need to keep check on what theyre producing as it could fall flat on its face as quickly as it got going if they insult the intelligence of the viewers and only listen to where the money comes from. I completely sympathise with the fact that it cant be easy to run a show on a budget and all income is welcome but there needs to be a balance, which they may struggle to maintain if they have little experience in certain areas of field sports and have their hands tied by their sponsors.

I liked your mates comment about 'releasing the geek!' hehe.

Back