Reloading Press Versatility

No. Not really. Shotgun loaders are cheaper than the price of having the custom tooling made.~Muir
I had noticed that shotgun loading tools seem to be a lot cheaper than rifle gear, that said if it was simply a question of different dies, the powder dispenser & scales look identical, it would save a bit of space on the work bench. Has anyone got any recommendation for shotgun cartridge tools, I would like to produce something equivalent to or preferably better than factory ammo.

I am told that shotgun reloads are as good as the effort you put into them. I myself have only loaded shot cartridges for handguns tho I did sell shotgun equipment at one time. The dies are different -sizing only the base- and there are additional considerations such as wad compression and crimp placement. Lee is reportedly the best for the all-important crimp but that may be past. Ponsess Warren is considered top of the line but expensive. If you go to Lee's site they have video on shotgun reloading. Lyman reloading manuals have shotgun loading as well, I believe.~Muir

I am told that shotgun reloads are as good as the effort you put into them. I myself have only loaded shot cartridges for handguns tho I did sell shotgun equipment at one time. The dies are different -sizing only the base- and there are additional considerations such as wad compression and crimp placement. Lee is reportedly the best for the all-important crimp but that may be past. Ponsess Warren is considered top of the line but expensive. If you go to Lee's site they have video on shotgun reloading. Lyman reloading manuals have shotgun loading as well, I believe.~Muir
I have the lyman manual, a lesson that I have learnt from doing rifle reloads is how much easier it is to make up what I actually want to use rather than relying on what local stockists want to sell

RCBS used to do a range of shotgun dies for standard 7/8x14 presses, but I haven't seen or heard of these for years. My local gunshop in Johannesburg had a set of .410 dies for sale- for about 4 years, so probably not much call for these then.

They's be OK for the occasional loader, but for any sort of volume you'd be better off with a deicated shotshell press.

I've seen a few clips of the lee loadall on youtube, to be honest the end results shown are starting to put me off the idea as my reasons for considering doing the reloads were both quality control and convenience:confused:

i use an mec junior press for my shotgun it was only 40 quid. crimps are spot on it is really easy to reload for shotgun
just finishing my lead shot maker as im buying it in at the mo . i started as i want to do my own non toxic and tailor my loads. heres a picture of my first the crimps are even better now i have got the hang of setting the press up atb wayne
F10V0737.jpg

Last edited:
i use an mec junior press for my shotgun it was only 40 quid. crimps are spot on it is really easy to reload for shotgun
just finishing my lead shot maker as im buying it in at the mo . i started as i want to do my own non toxic and tailor my loads. heres a picture of my first the crimps are even better now i have got the hang of setting the press up atb wayne
F10V0737.jpg
Thanks for taking the trouble to post those pictures Wayne, Those look to be a much better finish than the Lee. I shall take a closer look at this equipment. atb Tim

tim they where my first ones they are alot better now.but you can also get a roll tool to fit in a pillar drill to spin slowly to make the perfect roll. atb wayne ps if you start and you need load data pm me i can print some sheets off.

tim they where my first ones they are alot better now.but you can also get a roll tool to fit in a pillar drill to spin slowly to make the perfect roll. atb wayne ps if you start and you need load data pm me i can print some sheets off.
many thanks Wayne, I'll be in touch once things are a bit more advanced atb Tim

I had a look at a Junior Mec 600 mk 5 loader online, it seems to load a better cartridge than the Lee Loadall.
Has anyone had experience of both?

I don't reload shot gun cartridges now, although I did use to with blackpowder for an old blackpowder proof hammergun, and for this reason...

Modern shot gun cartridges loaded cheaply by the likes of Eley and many, many others use STEEL HEADS.

Unlike quality American brand cartridges that are loaded in America that use brass heads.And are to a certain extent sold in the expectation that they will be reloaded. The price difference between genuine US loaded shot gun cartridges and European loaded isn't merely shipping cost it is that the heads on US cartridges are BRASS. Those on cheap European cartridges are STEEL WITH A BRASS WASH.

Now do not confuse label branded American name bearing cartridges loaded in Europe with the genuine loaded in USA product.

Brass is elastic (to some degree) and will expand to obturate and then contract. Steel is not so! Steel will expand and then stay expanded! All well and good but this means that working a steel head repeatedly will cause it eventually to be liable to split. As tsteel does not take well to being forced to expand and then being forced in a sizer die back down to a smaller size.

And if that split happens when you are firing the gun?

So if you are reloading I would urge you to test the heads of you candidate cases with a magnet and reject any that are not brass but just cheap brass washed steel heads!

But back to the original question RCBS Rockchucker presses as said had a removable bush that whilst it took a standard 7/8" x 14 die size could be removed for larger Express Rifle sizes or indeed 450/577 Martini-Henry and later their shot gun cartridge die set.

I don't reload shot gun cartridges now, although I did use to with blackpowder for an old blackpowder proof hammergun, and for this reason...

Modern shot gun cartridges loaded cheaply by the likes of Eley and many, many others use STEEL HEADS.

Unlike quality American brand cartridges that are loaded in America that use brass heads.And are to a certain extent sold in the expectation that they will be reloaded. The price difference between genuine US loaded shot gun cartridges and European loaded isn't merely shipping cost it is that the heads on US cartridges are BRASS. Those on cheap European cartridges are STEEL WITH A BRASS WASH.

Now do not confuse label branded American name bearing cartridges loaded in Europe with the genuine loaded in USA product.

Brass is elastic (to some degree) and will expand to obturate and then contract. Steel is not so! Steel will expand and then stay expanded! All well and good but this means that working a steel head repeatedly will cause it eventually to be liable to split. As tsteel does not take well to being forced to expand and then being forced in a sizer die back down to a smaller size.

And if that split happens when you are firing the gun?

So if you are reloading I would urge you to test the heads of you candidate cases with a magnet and reject any that are not brass but just cheap brass washed steel heads!

But back to the original question RCBS Rockchucker presses as said had a removable bush that whilst it took a standard 7/8" x 14 die size could be removed for larger Express Rifle sizes or indeed 450/577 Martini-Henry and later their shot gun cartridge die set.
Your point about the steel heads is timely and well made and I shall be looking into this further, particularly whether I can obtain a supply of unused American type reloadable cases. Thanks for your advice atb Tim :thumb:

tim you could always go to the nearest clay ground and source your carts use once and discard you will have and endless supply of carts for free. i have found hull carts to load well . also game bore load very well. you can buy new hulls from clay and game or siarm which is cheap but if you are putting an order in you could do to know exactly what you need and order everything in one go,what carts are you wanting to load,ie load and wads,atb wayne
also if you buy new hulls get the skivved cases as they will fold better and you wont need a tool to chamfer the cases.if you get once used cases make sure you get the six point crimped ones

Last edited:
tim you could always go to the nearest clay ground and source your carts use once and discard you will have and endless supply of carts for free. i have found hull carts to load well . also game bore load very well. you can buy new hulls from clay and game or siarm which is cheap but if you are putting an order in you could do to know exactly what you need and order everything in one go,what carts are you wanting to load,ie load and wads,atb wayne
also if you buy new hulls get the skivved cases as they will fold better and you wont need a tool to chamfer the cases.if you get once used cases make sure you get the six point crimped ones
Thanks for your advice, I have some Hull & gamebore cases freshly fired from yesterday,
I shall take a closer look at these. Tim :D

Back