Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Press Versatility

Reloading Press Versatility

Is it possible to adapt the Lyman T mag press to load 20 gauge shotgun cartridges?

No. Not really. Shotgun loaders are cheaper than the price of having the custom tooling made.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    No. Not really. Shotgun loaders are cheaper than the price of having the custom tooling made.~Muir
    I had noticed that shotgun loading tools seem to be a lot cheaper than rifle gear, that said if it was simply a question of different dies, the powder dispenser & scales look identical, it would save a bit of space on the work bench. Has anyone got any recommendation for shotgun cartridge tools, I would like to produce something equivalent to or preferably better than factory ammo.

I am told that shotgun reloads are as good as the effort you put into them. I myself have only loaded shot cartridges for handguns tho I did sell shotgun equipment at one time. The dies are different -sizing only the base- and there are additional considerations such as wad compression and crimp placement. Lee is reportedly the best for the all-important crimp but that may be past. Ponsess Warren is considered top of the line but expensive. If you go to Lee's site they have video on shotgun reloading. Lyman reloading manuals have shotgun loading as well, I believe.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I am told that shotgun reloads are as good as the effort you put into them. I myself have only loaded shot cartridges for handguns tho I did sell shotgun equipment at one time. The dies are different -sizing only the base- and there are additional considerations such as wad compression and crimp placement. Lee is reportedly the best for the all-important crimp but that may be past. Ponsess Warren is considered top of the line but expensive. If you go to Lee's site they have video on shotgun reloading. Lyman reloading manuals have shotgun loading as well, I believe.~Muir
    I have the lyman manual, a lesson that I have learnt from doing rifle reloads is how much easier it is to make up what I actually want to use rather than relying on what local stockists want to sell

RCBS used to do a range of shotgun dies for standard 7/8x14 presses, but I haven't seen or heard of these for years. My local gunshop in Johannesburg had a set of .410 dies for sale- for about 4 years, so probably not much call for these then.

They's be OK for the occasional loader, but for any sort of volume you'd be better off with a deicated shotshell press.

I've seen a few clips of the lee loadall on youtube, to be honest the end results shown are starting to put me off the idea as my reasons for considering doing the reloads were both quality control and convenience

i use an mec junior press for my shotgun it was only 40 quid. crimps are spot on it is really easy to reload for shotgun
    just finishing my lead shot maker as im buying it in at the mo . i started as i want to do my own non toxic and tailor my loads. heres a picture of my first the crimps are even better now i have got the hang of setting the press up atb wayne
    Last edited by mereside; 15-12-2011 at 20:06.

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    i use an mec junior press for my shotgun it was only 40 quid. crimps are spot on it is really easy to reload for shotgun
    just finishing my lead shot maker as im buying it in at the mo . i started as i want to do my own non toxic and tailor my loads. heres a picture of my first the crimps are even better now i have got the hang of setting the press up atb wayne
    Thanks for taking the trouble to post those pictures Wayne, Those look to be a much better finish than the Lee. I shall take a closer look at this equipment. atb Tim

tim they where my first ones they are alot better now.but you can also get a roll tool to fit in a pillar drill to spin slowly to make the perfect roll. atb wayne ps if you start and you need load data pm me i can print some sheets off.