Thread: PULSAR NIGHT VISION laser

PULSAR NIGHT VISION laser

HI I have just bought a pulsar recon 550R monocular with photo/vidio.
    I am very pleased with it but you can get a laser for it about 200.
    Has anyone tried one .I fined that this works realy well in poor light but
    not towards the moon. Its not so good with no light. Its very good for
    looking over the fields on the way to high seats early mornings.
    Its also very good on those nights that go dark early still in shooting
    time.i had a very good deal form The gun room
    regards brian

Are you asking about the Pulsar or the Monocular?
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    Are you asking about the Pulsar or the Monocular?
    It says on the box( pulsar recon 550r monocular). the r being recorder. It has got its own IR. but the distance about 80m if that.

Most units have a built in IR and they usually are not great. You will often need extra illumination like a N1000 which will cost about 150/175 to increase the light or range. They will also allow you to see eyeshine out to much farther distances.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

I had a Pulsar N550 Digisight and changed the standard IR for the L808 laser and it made a fantastic difference, with the doubler attachment it was a very good unit for rabbits and foxes, you could see rabbits at a distance of at least 300 yards (confirmed with laser rangefinder). I would think the L808 being a pulsar part would fit?

Why not try a suitable filter for your favourite torch? An 850nm cut-off will be completely invisible to everything out there and should work with your monocular (AFAIR the Pulsar L808 is about 810nm). Depending on the quality of the filter, you could get sorted out for around 40 and the light spread would be better for a monocular, with the distance determined by the torch output and the quality of the filter. A few years ago, a friend and I made some up for the headlights on the landrover and you could drive quite easily (obviously not on the road) with appropriate night vision kit. The only qualifier to this is the output range of the light source - ironically, some of the very best ones concentrate all their output towards the visible spectrum (for obvious reasons) and drop off badly past about 700nm.

If you really want a laser, I've built one before in that range for a digisight and you can get some really powerful ones fairly cheaply secondhand. However, they are not for the careless as they are completely dark and can cause serious eye damage - at the very least, you need an illuminated led to show whether its on or off.

HTH
    Knots
    Last edited by Knottaclu; 15-12-2011 at 22:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Knottaclu View Post
    Why not try a suitable filter for your favourite torch? An 850nm cut-off will be completely invisible to everything out there and should work with your monocular (AFAIR the Pulsar L808 is about 810nm). Depending on the quality of the filter, you could get sorted out for around 40 and the light spread would be better for a monocular, with the distance determined by the torch output and the quality of the filter. A few years ago, a friend and I made some up for the headlights on the landrover and you could drive quite easily (obviously not on the road) with appropriate night vision kit. The only qualifier to this is the output range of the light source - ironically, some of the very best ones concentrate all their output towards the visible spectrum (for obvious reasons) and drop off badly past about 700nm.

If you really want a laser, I've built one before in that range for a digisight and you can get some really powerful ones fairly cheaply secondhand. However, they are not for the careless as they are completely dark and can cause serious eye damage - at the very least, you need an illuminated led to show whether its on or off.

HTH
    Knots
    Thanks for your very helpfull comments. What i need has to be portable. Me been me it needs to be safe. If you can suggest a bolt on device .If your down my way come for a fallow stalk i have lots to cull. I also have some v nice roe. f o c
    brian

Quote Originally Posted by woodfordfallow View Post
    Thanks for your very helpfull comments. What i need has to be portable. Me been me it needs to be safe. If you can suggest a bolt on device .If your down my way come for a fallow stalk i have lots to cull. I also have some v nice roe. f o c
    brian
    Thanks for the generous offer Brian. Unfortunately, although I travel all over the UK for work, I never seem to get down your way (I think the last time was about four years ago).

I'll have a think about suggestions and send you a PM.

Regards
    Knots

Quote Originally Posted by woodfordfallow View Post
    You can get a laser for about 200.
    Has anyone tried one?
    I have a Pulsar laser that I use with a Pulsar Titan Monocular and DSA. It's eye-safe, with a focusable beam, and very even illumination. To my mind it outperforms the (non-eye-safe) laser on my Starlight Archer, which has a more "mottled" beam, and my eye-safe Laserluchs, which isn't as bright.

I can't say whether it will perform as well with your monocular, but mine works very well with all my NV gear.

HTH

Stupid question but have you cleaned your laser? Mine is fine on my Archer.