Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freezing in plastic bags

Freezing in plastic bags

Like most people here I guess, I freeze a lot of meat. I joint it/portion it, pack it in bags and whack it in the freezer.

Now, when I come to thaw it out I get large amounts of bloody water coming from the outside of the bag. Why is this? Am I doing something wrong or does plastic become porous after being frozen?

Anybody shed any light.

Davie
    Most modern plastic bags are not air tight they or deliberately left with holes so that if you put it over your head you don't die .If you use the proper freezer bags yu should find no leaks

Venison needs to be frozen immediately after cutting so that it doesn't have time to leach.
    Also if you wash your carcass leave it to dry thoroughly before cutting and bagging.

The ideal solution is vac-packing but the machines are not cheap, there are some semi-commercial ones out there, look on the Cabelas website to get an idea.

regards
    griff

I never put water near my venison, I rub down with vinegar and donít have water retention nor does it react with the fat.

Cheapish vacuum packer.

I use one of these now for nice joints.
    http://www.fresherpack.com/products/...vacuum_sealer/
    No more freezer burn. The bags are only up to 30cm wide but as long as you want as it comes on a roll. You'll fit a haunch up to about 3-4 kg in one which is not bad. Looks the part too if you are selling stuff! 8)

Re: Freezing in plastic bags

Quote Originally Posted by Frax
    Like most people here I guess, I freeze a lot of meat. I joint it/portion it, pack it in bags and whack it in the freezer.

Now, when I come to thaw it out I get large amounts of bloody water coming from the outside of the bag. Why is this? Am I doing something wrong or does plastic become porous after being frozen?

Anybody shed any light.
    I have noticed the same thing...I have a feeling that the standard freezer bags bought at a supermarket are slightly porus. Under normal circumstances, its not enough to notice and they can be effectively considered airtight, but they will leech out water/blood when you defrost.

In the short term, it shouldn't actually be a problem as you don't need to seal the bags in the freezer anyway. For instance, many Yanks don't use plastic bags at all, and still parcel their gamemeat in "freezer paper" which is akin to a heavyduty grease proof paper...

For long term storage in the fridge or freezer, undoubtedly vac-pacing is the way to go although even the domestic machines are quite expensive with basic one being around £100 and the better ones being around £200..

The cheap answer is of course to eat more venison so it doesn't accumulate in the freezer!

Regards,

Peter

whats the maximum length of time you would keep venison (roe) in the freezer???

Xim,

Not sure really and I don't think there's an absoulte answer..

In ordinary freezer bags, I've kept venison for six to eight months with no problems, but thats been cassorole cuts... With good cuts such as fillet ect, after a similar lenth of time, you might find that while still edible, on defrosting the quality has droped and they don't look "acceptable" due to freezer burn..

I've not used a vac-pac machine, but I believe cuts will last at least 12 months and are immune to freezer burn...Hopefully somebody with such a machine will chime in and comment on how it works in reality..

Regards,

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 x 55
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vacuum-Sealer-Food-Bag-Packing-Machine-FREE-ROLLS-NEW_W0QQitemZ380091464492QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hom eGarden_Kitchen_FoodStorage_GL?hash=item3800914644 92&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C66%3 A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

not to deer reaLLY
    The various cheaper units seems to get very mixed reviews, but I suppose it all depends on the quantities you intend to freeze, and how often you intend to use it..

I can't find the model now as the site is down, but Bushwear used to sell a couple of models starting at around £170 IIRC, and they seemed to be popular with people who have good amounts of venison to freeze..As I don't sell venison, I'd be had pushed to justify that sort of price when standard freezer bags have always worked fine for me.

That said, Bushwear aren't particularly cheap any more and I suspect you could get the same machines cheaper elsewhere.

For home use, the machine Monkey Spanker mentions looks to have a decent spec, and seems a good compromise between cost and size ect..But again, it would come down to how much improvement it offered over standard freezer bags as do I really want to keep venison over 6 months anyway??