Hornady, .17 equipment

finnbear270

I found it irritating in the extreme, for Hornady to offer .17 calibre bullets & all the rest of the gubbins that go with this cal,............. EXCEPTING, a .17 collet to suit their fine Cam Lok bullet puller!........... So I now have an excellent offering from R.C.B.S., I found their design to be easier to use than the Hornady, even after my first impression that it looked a bit "Heath Robinson", formed on opening the package from the States. Just need to decide on a decent case length cutting tool now.

I found it irritating in the extreme, for Hornady to offer .17 calibre bullets & all the rest of the gubbins that go with this cal,............. EXCEPTING, a .17 collet to suit their fine Cam Lok bullet puller!........... So I now have an excellent offering from R.C.B.S., I found their design to be easier to use than the Hornady, even after my first impression that it looked a bit "Heath Robinson", formed on opening the package from the States. Just need to decide on a decent case length cutting tool now.
Nothing 'heath robinson' about the rcbs puller, in fact the taper lip on the hornady body is prone to cracking and chipping, basically a poor design.
I have both and know which is better!

. Just need to decide on a decent case length cutting tool now.

hi i use a forster's original trimer, but you have to get a new cutter shaft at £17 and a pilot,
what 17 are you loaing for? i have .17 fireball and have started to make case form .223 as the factory stuff is no good at all

ps if you using bergers they just come a part when you try to pull them

Last edited:
Breath of fresh air to hear people who like the 17 c/fs have been running a 17 rem for 10 years or so and love it much misunderstood cal,I use the rcbs case trimmer find it works a treat for all my cals the other being 308 just wondering how do you find the 17 furball ?been hearing some good reports on it !!

Breath of fresh air to hear people who like the 17 c/fs have been running a 17 rem for 10 years or so and love it much misunderstood cal,I use the rcbs case trimmer find it works a treat for all my cals the other being 308 just wondering how do you find the 17 furball ?been hearing some good reports on it !!

17 Rem , my favourite

hi dlz90
iam loving the furball , i have been using 30gr.bergers and they do good but i have found thay a have near same dorp as 25gr but seem to have the edge on target,
i get 3500fps out of 23'' barrel with 17.5 gr of h322, i have found r-p case bit hit and miss

hi dlz90
iam loving the furball , i have been using 30gr.bergers and they do good but i have found thay a have near same dorp as 25gr but seem to have the edge on target,
i get 3500fps out of 23'' barrel with 17.5 gr of h322, i have found r-p case bit hit and miss

same here its a shame some of brands don't make 17 fireball brass. lapua would be nice. but i guess they just don't have the call for the amount of fireballs sold and not being as popular.

i use h322 in my fireball and find it very good indeed and give very fast fps

17 Rem , my favourite

hi dlz90

same here its a shame some of brands don't make 17 fireball brass. lapua would be nice. but i guess they just don't have the call for the amount of fireballs sold and not being as popular.

i use h322 in my fireball and find it very good indeed and give very fast fps

Real nice to meet 17 c/f fans we know the virtues of that deadly little pill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Real nice to meet 17 c/f fans we know the virtues of that deadly little pill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes great liitle pill. i had mine built on a tikka m595 action which was a 222 before. i had a cheap shilen stainless match barrel blank off a friend and got my local smith to chamber it.

i would have liked it in 17 rem as they feed from the tikka mag fine. the fireball round doesn't with out mods to mag etc. and the smith didnt have a 17 rem reamer so just went with The fireball.

my barrel is also a 1 in 10 twist so it is limited really to 20 vmax or 25 grain berger bullets. i hear the 25 vmax due to there length wont shoot very well in a 10 twist. though i got some rounds off a mate to try soon as i get round to loading them up. well you never know till you try them ;)

if it would have been a 9 twist i would have waited till he got a reamer in 17 rem and used nothing but the 25 vmax in it. like most others do in there's.
i know of 3 other guys using this bullet comb in 17 rem and they love the calibre.

for now as i don't shoot mine much pass 200 yards really. the fireball with 20 grain vmax doing 4033 fps over the chrono will do for me. it has made short work of the foxes i have shot with it up to now. no exits which is good as all the ftlb is dumped in the foxes.

pinpoint accuracy lets you knock the heads off rabbits at good ranges. with no recoil and spotting the hits is very good.

EVERYONE SHOULD OWN A 17 CF OF SOME SORT IN THERE LIFE TIME. I am sure I will own 17 rem also in the future or some sort of 20 calibre
204 or 20 tac. the 204 with a 39 grain blizking is a superb round also :cool:

Last edited:
i have never got on with the bullet pullers. when i need to pull rounds. i use the hammer and use the shell holder in it to hold the case.

what fireball did you get finnbear

Last edited:
yes great liitle pill. i had mine built on a tikka m595 action which was a 222 before. i had a cheap shilen stainless match barrel blank off a friend and got my local smith to chamber it.

i would have liked it in 17 rem as they feed from the tikka mag fine. the fireball round doesn't with out mods to mag etc. and the smith didnt have a 17 rem reamer so just went with The fireball.

my barrel is also a 1 in 10 twist so it is limited really to 20 vmax or 25 grain berger bullets. i hear the 25 vmax due to there length wont shoot very well in a 10 twist. though i got some rounds off a mate to try soon as i get round to loading them up. well you never know till you try them ;)

if it would have been a 9 twist i would have waited till he got a reamer in 17 rem and used nothing but the 25 vmax in it. like most others do in there's.
i know of 3 other guys using this bullet comb in 17 rem and they love the calibre.

for now as i don't shoot mine much pass 200 yards really. the fireball with 20 grain vmax doing 4033 fps over the chrono will do for me. it has made short work of the foxes i have shot with it up to now. no exits which is good as all the ftlb is dumped in the foxes.

pinpoint accuracy lets you knock the heads off rabbits at good ranges. with no recoil and spotting the hits is very good.

EVERYONE SHOULD OWN A 17 CF OF SOME SORT IN THERE LIFE TIME. I am sure I will own 17 rem also in the future or some sort of 20 calibre
204 or 20 tac. the 204 with a 39 grain blizking is a superb round also :cool:

For sure jay 22 !! I concur everone should give the c/f 17s a try before they knock them,mine is 1 in 9 twist and it works well with the 25 gr vmaxs and the 30 gr bergers but to be honest I always return to the 25 gr hornady or berger hollow points, with a load of 22.5 grns of alliant reloader 15 mild in my rifle I am getting 0,75" @ 100 yds if i do my part, and thats form a rifle that has fired at least 2500+rounds in the last 10 years and it has been said they eat barrels!!!!!

For sure jay 22 !! I concur everone should give the c/f 17s a try before they knock them,mine is 1 in 9 twist and it works well with the 25 gr vmaxs and the 30 gr bergers but to be honest I always return to the 25 gr hornady or berger hollow points, with a load of 22.5 grns of alliant reloader 15 mild in my rifle I am getting 0,75" @ 100 yds if i do my part, and thats form a rifle that has fired at least 2500+rounds in the last 10 years and it has been said they eat barrels!!!!!

its funny isnt it. when i shot my 1 st foxes with the 17 I use to give them a little kick with the foot to make sure they where dead !

after seeing the 22/250 etc hitting them and seeing the damage done. they use to look like they where just a sleep when shot with 17 ;)

its funny isnt it. when i shot my 1 st foxes with the 17 I use to give them a little kick with the foot to make sure they where dead !

after seeing the 22/250 etc hitting them and seeing the damage done. they use to look like they where just a sleep when shot with 17 ;)

Aye and they will be sleeping long time !!!!!!!:D our fur gathering friends in Canada the Us and Austriala have known the beneifits for years!!!!!!!!!!!

Back