Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What calibre is recommended for the following species: Sika, Red, Fallow & Roe?

What calibre is recommended for the following species: Sika, Red, Fallow & Roe?

'What calibre of rifle is recommended for the following species: Sika, Red, Fallow & Roe?'

I have used a .243 on and off, as well as numerous estate rifles over the last few years & would like to commit to one calibre which would suit all species.

It seems the .270 is a favourite, with a flat trajectory for the longer range 'Hill' shots & variable 'grain' options, to drop down the weight for Roe etc.

Any views?

JMc

Try a search of the forum plenty of reading will keep you up to the wee small hours, stalk as close as you can get and ensure good shot placement and any legal calibre will get the job done

I'll start it lol -

.275 / 7mm Mau drops all those species in my experience, and a well placed shot will see they don't get up.

T

I"ll finish it 270 the best calibre ever for all uk deer and charlie loves it aswell imho

ooh definately a can of worms but heres mine anyway i love my 270's an exellent round for me does everything i need ,atb wayne

Might as well chuck in my thoughts too ............. 25.06

Any of the .264s will do the job

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Any legal round will do the job with the right bullet, its the person behind the rifle and the bullet placement that counts

Quote Originally Posted by JMc View Post
    'What calibre of rifle is recommended for the following species: Sika, Red, Fallow & Roe?'

I have used a .243 on and off, as well as numerous estate rifles over the last few years & would like to commit to one calibre which would suit all species.

It seems the .270 is a favourite, with a flat trajectory what is a flat trajectory puzzled with this one for the longer range 'Hill' shots & variable 'grain' options, to drop down the weight for Roe etc.

Any views?

JMc
    Why does this raise it head time after time, flat trajectory isn't such a thing .

As Malcolm quite rightly stated any round that is legal will do the job ,it depends on what your looking for at the end of the day, look at the case sizes .243 is necked down from a .308 .25.06 .270 is necked down from .30.06 .

You preference on what your doing Roe, Red everything else is in between .25.06 is a excellent calibre for Roe and Red with a variance of bullet weights .