Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .17 again.....

.17 again.....

Hi,

Right I went to see a man(off here) about a 17hmr and have a feel of the anschutz.

He also has a quad in 22 which was handy as I got to feel that.......And to be honest neither felt that right.

Both feel well built and all and the Annie had a lovely two stage trigger.....I sit on the fence whether thats good or not.

But they were both very short in the stock and being the bean cane I am I would need to extend them which is not ideal way to buy a rifle.

I'm thinking of one of the thunmbhole stocks, such as the CZ (although I don't like the trigger) or the Browning T bolt maybe Annie TH or the Savage etc

So my question is:
    Is there any others?
    Which of these is best all round?
    Is the standard T bolt a long stock?
    What are the triggers like on each?
    and the customisableness(I'm not sure thats a real word) of each?

I'm trying to keep costs down but will spend what is neccasary to get the right rifle(I'm done buying cheap and not being happy for the sake of an extra 100)

Why not try the cz with a custom trigger aka rimfire magic etc.
    Politicians are like nappies,they should be changed frequently and for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbituntr View Post
    Why not try the cz with a custom trigger aka rimfire magic etc.
    +1. Locely thumbhole stock on the CZ adn the trigger is an easy fix. I just used the kit from rimfire magic(think theya re less than 20) and ahev a very very light adn crisp trigger on mine.

not a fan of thumbholes on sporting rifles, fine for the range but taking odd angled shots from the seat of a landrover or justfor ease of use off the range the standard stock works better IMO.

for length of pull you can easily fix this either temporarily with slip on shotgun pads or permanently with numerous aftermarket recoil pad spacers.

I have the quad and got a slightly thicker plate, you can get brand specific ones if you want to match.

can't fault the quad in build quality. you can upgrade any part of it just like many other rifles.
    I got a nicer bolt handle, CNC machined allow trigger guard and they have a set trigger you can get as well but once lightened the standard trigger does the job just fine

I've got a T bolt and its a tool really throw it about etc, to be honest I dont know if id buy another. On reflection id have got a sako quad.... Im not sure on the exact trigger pull but its quite course. I understand that the CZ's are good for the money, you can get a trigger upgrade etc no worries also i believe there are some aftermarket stock options aswell.

I Have a Savage 93 Thumbhole , excellent piece of kit with a great trigger , highly recommend it. You are more than welcome to have a feel/shoot but depends where in the South you are? I shoot in the Gloucester area
    atb
    craig

THumbhole stocks, look nice, hold nice, but as Bewsher said, quite impractical. Before I sold it, I had a Marlin 917 VS, lovely rifle, I just didnt lovbe it, thought the trigger was naff, so spent 90 on that. magazine was a bit rubbish ect. Lots of little Bits. My .22 is a standard CZ American. And I love it. Ive tuned the trigger at a cost of 12 (bargain) and it is so crisp, got a Meopta Scope on the top, 2 10 shot mags and a Sak mod with a sling. I absolutely love it, accurate as anything, reliable, use it, put it away ect. Never cleaned it, and will group in a 10p everyday of the week at 60 yards.
    Browning T-Bolt, I have looked at these, and to be honest tick a lot of boxes. Look good too. Fast, reliable, and good brand too. Short barrell which is a must with a rimfire (shooting from a vehicle, manouverability ect.) The magazine system looks good, and you get 2 of them, one in the buttpad. A smart rifle indeed. Get something practical for your needs. Also get a DM80 Mod, they are the nuts and come over the barrell like a reflex mod.

Quote Originally Posted by White Hart View Post
    On reflection id have got a sako quad.... Im not sure on the exact trigger pull but its quite course.
    from the factory it requires a range rover and a tow bar to fire. feels like about 10lbs required!
    easily adjusted to as light as you like. no-idea what poundage it is at now as I could care less, I dry fire until it feels "right".
    not super light though.
    slight slack to take up then crisp snap

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    from the factory it requires a range rover and a tow bar to fire. feels like about 10lbs required!
    easily adjusted to as light as you like. no-idea what poundage it is at now as I could care less, I dry fire until it feels "right".
    not super light though.
    slight slack to take up then crisp snap
    My grammer aint to good mate, i was refering to the t-bolt.... adjusted it but its still a bit "agri".

I use an HW60 IN .22. They also make a .17HMR version which, if it's the same as the .22, will be a cracking rifle out of the box.