Foxing Rifle

boar & deer

have been useing my .308 for a lot of my foxing it works but is not that flat and just a bit big so would like some ideas of cal and rifle for just foxing as will be putting in for one next year

any of the 22 centrefires will be more then up to the job. 223 is is most popular with lots of ammo if you dont reload.

222 rifles can be had very cheap and are nice to shoot also. i had one for a bit and it was lovely to shoot and next to no recoil.

but 22/250 is my foxing rifle of choice. lovely flat shooting calibre

In all honesty any c/f cal with good shot placement will do the job nicely, for me its a 17 rem IMO a very misunderstood cal thats accurate no recoil banjo string trajectory and most important for me especially when shooting at night, very low ricochet potential, maybe not for everyone though very few about other than buying a good action and rebarrel but well worth the effort also you really do need to reload but heck thats a "load" of excuse the pun of fun on its own ;)

Last edited:
In England I would be inclined to go for a .243 as you can also use this calibre for roe but in Scotland .243, .223 and .22-250 are all excellent calibres for fox. Personally I favour the .22-250 which I also use for roe.

Depends on if you reload or not !

I used to think my .22-250 was an awsome fox round. But on my last renewal my FLO asked if i wanted another caliber !

I chose .17 C/f and would have bought a .17 rem like but i wanted a remington model 7 and they had been discontinued in .17 rem so i bought a Fireball instead.
I chose to ignore all the talk of you need to clean every 10 shot and im glad i did. I use a pull through after every trip out and have cleaned it every 100 rounds. But to be honest have NEVER had the group open up to more than a 5p at 100m.
It is quieter than the 22-250 just as deadly and has cleanly taken fox's out to 230m at night and crows at 600m in the day !
You don't need a deer capable round as if you are going out where there is a chance of Deer take the .308 .

.22 250 is the best off the shelf cal , i have a .20TAC custom and id say they take some beating

Depends on if you reload or not !

I used to think my .22-250 was an awsome fox round. But on my last renewal my FLO asked if i wanted another caliber !

I chose .17 C/f and would have bought a .17 rem like but i wanted a remington model 7 and they had been discontinued in .17 rem so i bought a Fireball instead.
I chose to ignore all the talk of you need to clean every 10 shot and im glad i did. I use a pull through after every trip out and have cleaned it every 100 rounds. But to be honest have NEVER had the group open up to more than a 5p at 100m.
It is quieter than the 22-250 just as deadly and has cleanly taken fox's out to 230m at night and crows at 600m in the day !
You don't need a deer capable round as if you are going out where there is a chance of Deer take the .308 .

sound advice from real experience nice, to many slate the 17 c/fs without any experience of them

running a 20 tac,

fast

no recoil

not to load

light to handle/carry around

39/40gr pill that works so well its scary.

had myself a custome one built and will never look back, trully stunning

bob.

not that cheap to run as you HAVE to load for it as there is no factory ammo (yet)

agree with bob js but i couldnt afford have one built if i sold my 223 foxer and wanted another cheap to reload rifle

i reckon i would steer towards a 204

Have used both 223 and 22-250 over the years. Both worked well but at the distances over which I could safely see at night all foxes were shot at ranges where the 22-250's ballistic superiority was not really an issue. I have just bought a new 223 sporter so I guess it is down to personal preference.

the 22-250 remington is of course the ultimate foxing round.
personally i don't like picking up a charlie thats cut in half by a 308 round.

.243, used one now for 20 years. Tried other cal's, moest often Estate rifles where I've worked, .270, .308, .22 Hornet, .223, .22-250.55 to 75 grain for foxes, 100 grain for Deer. Been a Keeper now for 25 years, wouldn't change.

+1 For the .243 mine uses a 85 grain bullet and i love it , however i have used a.222 and .223wssm and they
both accounted for shed loads of foxes:D

all above give good advice but on the 243 go for it if your firearms dept allow it for foxing-it's a very versatile calibre that if used properly will take any creature in the uk.223 is probably one of the the cheapest to reload for and is ideal.however probably the 22-250 is the ultimate off the shelf fox calibre without going exotic like swift etc.17's may be more prone to wind drift.a.t.b.richard.

I use 243 and 223. As a fox only rifle I prefer the 223 because over the distances I shoot under the lamp it does the same job (sub 250m), it does it with a lot less powder (i reload for both) and pop.

my shooting buddy has a 204 and its a great foxing tool with the 39 grain blizkings.
imo though youi need to reload for this calibre to get the best out of it. if you dont reload then i would look more to 22cf

.223 all the way, I have a browning A bolt, 55grn BT, Accounted for five last night from 80 - 160 yds lovely little round 1st class calibre for the job

all above give good advice but on the 243 go for it if your firearms dept allow it for foxing-it's a very versatile calibre that if used properly will take any creature in the uk.223 is probably one of the the cheapest to reload for and is ideal.however probably the 22-250 is the ultimate off the shelf fox calibre without going exotic like swift etc.17's may be more prone to wind drift.a.t.b.richard.

Sorry Richard
But you have just joined the Not had a .17c/f but willing to expand the imagineary problems club !!

I can tell you first hand IF you missed the target due to wind drift with a .17c/f then you would have also missed it with a .223 as the wind drift between the two is small.

ATB Splash

I used to use my .243 and HMR for foxing sold the HMR to fund the .204 I have not looked back the .204 is an outstanding caliber for fox & varminting and now the only gun I reach for.

My .204 rifle is very light (inc scope & mod) is cheap to reload (270 loads per 1lb of powder) ,no recoil , flat shooting and very hard hitting i am getting 3950fps from a 22" barrel using 32gr SBK i have not had a fox move once hit with the .204 they just crumple on the spot .

cautionary note If you hit anything with feathers or very thin skinned they explode like little fireworks so not a lot left to eat unless head or shot through the shoulders.

It is one of the funnest calibers I have shot so far, I have bagged bunnies out to 355m haven't shot anything further yet , you will not be disappointed with the performance of the.204 .

Back