Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: learn something every night

learn something every night

went out for a shine last night alone on a sheep farm close to home. i seen a couple of foxes but no shot due to roads and houses. i spotted two sets of eyes in a rough field near the edge of the permission. I gave a quick call and one fox disappeared but the other showed some interest. at this point i set up the sticks in the field i was in to allow a quick shot if it crossed into this field and i could get a shot at it from a fence post if it stayed in it's current field. another couple of squeaks and i could see it was commited but it disappeared from view along a hedge line. I was moving between the sticks and the fence post trying to get a visual on the fox again when it popped out in my field about 60m away. it was barking like mad and pronking like a fallow deer, to be honest it scared the **** out of me as i wasnt expecting the barking. when i dropped the fox it turned out to be a good sized dog fox. i imagine that he had paired up with a vixen and he came into the call to check if it was another fox hunting in his territory. i have read about this behaviour but this was the first i seen it myself.

Sounds interesting, I rekon he was being terratorial. Good shooting, nip them in the bud ASAP I say before you have to shoot 6 more in the spring/early summer.

I had a similar thing happen last night only without the barking. Dog and vixen about 400yds away, started calling and the dog came running down the ditch line then out into the field about 40yds off the ditch, Dropped it at about 150yds. Didn't weigh it but it was a big rascal

Attachment 11116
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I'll weigh it tomorrow. Wondering about having it mounted now its such a biggy.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I had the caller out playing 'vixen on heat' the other night, and before long I caught the flash from a set of eyes next to a big wood about 500 yards away. As soon as I had the NV focused, I could see that it was a big dog fox and that he was fast heading my way. Before he'd got very far though, a vixen dashed out and tried to stop him running any further. She threw herself on the ground in full-on supplication mode, which held him up for a few moments, but then he carried on running towards me. She chased after him again, and managed to stop him at about 175 paces out - from her antics it looked like she was begging and saying something like 'Please don't go after her - she's a slut'. As he turned to face her, one of my BlitzKings smacked him in the chest. At this she jumped up and ran about a quarter of a mile without stopping - I'm due to go back to see if I can find her one of these nights...

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I had the caller out playing 'vixen on heat' the other night, and before long I caught the flash from a set of eyes next to a big wood about 500 yards away. As soon as I had the NV focused, I could see that it was a big dog fox and that he was fast heading my way. Before he'd got very far though, a vixen dashed out and tried to stop him running any further. She threw herself on the ground in full-on supplication mode, which held him up for a few moments, but then he carried on running towards me. She chased after him again, and managed to stop him at about 175 paces out - from her antics it looked like she was begging and saying something like 'Please don't go after her - she's a slut'. As he turned to face her, one of my BlitzKings smacked him in the chest. At this she jumped up and ran about a quarter of a mile without stopping - I'm due to go back to see if I can find her one of these nights...
    last time he will play away from home. i got two vixens in the same field last week about an hour apart and no sign of a dox anywhere, i will go back tomorrow night and try the vixen call to see if there is a lonely dog about without a vixen.

last night i shot 3 dog fox's and two of them came running into the call and i couldnt stop them antill i shouted at them when they where about 35 yrds away , i wish it was allways that easy