Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: very tight limits on use

very tight limits on use

Just got my ticket back from the FEO and yes been granted the 9.3x62mm All very good and the whole thing done in less than 3 weeks. Well done Norfolk. That said the limitations on the rifle state "Transported to and from a port of embarkation this rifle must not be fired in Great Britain"

2 things, Do you think that I could get this changed if I had any boar shooting in GB and second, I wonder how an english police force can state that it can't be used in scotland as many of the laws regarding calibres and legalities regarding deer seem to be in scotish hands? Just my take on it.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Regards

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

How are you expected to check that it has no faults??
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Not quite sure how this complies with HO guidelines. i.e.

3.32 The possession of expanding
    ammunition for target shooting or any
    competition use is not allowed. Applicants
    wishing to possess expanding ammunition
    for any other purposes (for example, to zero
    a large calibre rifle for big game hunting
    abroad) should also be refused (see also
    paragraph 3.17). There should be no
    prescribed limits set on the number of
    rounds of ammunition that can be expended
    during zeroing, although this will need to
    be compatible with these functions and
    consistent with the overall limits on
    possession and purchase.

I would interpret this as meaning that if your "good reason" was large game shooting abroad you are permitted to, and can reasonably expect to zero & practice with fmj ammunition before your trip abroad.
    In your circumstances I would ring firearms licensing at the HO and ask them directly what the problem is, as I understand it the discretion of Chief Constables to add conditions does not extend to making the very possession of that firearm worthless (also within the HO Guidance) atb Tim

Mark

At the very least I would ask that you be allowed to fire non-expanding ammunition on a range - how else would you familiarise yourself with the rifle? Also, there are precedents (in East Anglia, not sure if it's Norfolk or Suffolk) for using a 375H&H for deer, so why not a 9.3x62? Failing that, as you suggest, book some boar shooting in the UK - again, there are precedents for 375H&H...

Good luck

Andrew

I met a chap once who had a 375 I think at our range and was zeroing using non expanding,he had to get his expanding when he got to his desternation.

What a total waste of time!! what good is a rifle you can have but not even practice with in your own country?. When i asked about a 9.3x62 or a .444 my FLO said i could have/use both cals. if i wanted to just so long as i had a reason for each/both and no silly problem with section 5 ammo .
    As the cost of factory 9.3x62 will be around the 70 a box of 20 you have to reload if you intend to use it a bit so can you not tell your FLO that you will down load it for here in the UK!!!! and see if that helps?

Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

[QUOTE]I wonder how an english police force can state that it can't be used in scotland as many of the laws regarding calibres and legalities regarding deer seem to be in scotish hands? Just my take on it.

The answer to this bit is easy. You're within the Norfolk area and the reponsibility of that Chief Constable. He can give you permission to shoot Roe Deer in Scotland with deer-calibres, so that seems a fair return to me. Firearms legislation isn't devolved to the Scottish Executive, and the Deer (Scotland) Act on their calibres was enacted in the UK Parliament.

To be fair to Norfolk the restrictions are totally consistent with the HO Guidance. Boar aren't 'Dangerous Game' in the quarry list for Good Reason so the large-calibre wording applies and there's no 'expanding' allowed. Zeroing with FMJ... even if you can find any suitable 'solids' .... would rather frustrate the restrictions they intended to impose on you. The 'not to be fired' clause puts that beyond doubt.

Having said all that, I'm sure someone from your county who has been allowed a .375 H&H for deer will be along with a contradictory post soon.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I dont have a problem with the FLO or the department they have been great to be honest. I do feel that the understanding of european calibres is missunderstood. When you look at a 300win mag, and knowing that they are used in england I wonder if a little more knowledge of ballistics ect. would be an asset in order for them to make a informed decission.
    Last edited by stalkinginengland; 19-12-2011 at 20:15.
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

mark i would go down the route of reloading and show figures on speeds against other cals and show how you can down load to suite the more info you can show the better your chances at using it here,atb wayne

Quote Originally Posted by bunwell wood shoot View Post
    I dont have a problem with the FLO or the department they have been great to be honest. I do feel that the understanding of european calibres is missunderstood. When you look at a 300win mag, and knowing that they are used in england I wonder if a little more knowledge of ballistics ect. would be an asset in order for them to make a informed decission.
    im expecting my ticket back with 300 win mag cleared for deer and any lawful quary and on open ticket in the not to very distant future ,

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.