Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devonia Tannery

Devonia Tannery

I took some skins down yesterday and after a longish chat with the office staff thought the following might help.

1 Getting skins to them is your responsibility - Parcelforce seem the most popular courier service

2 Put the skins in a heavy duty bag before wrapping -builders rubble/waste sack is good. Bin liners are too flimsy

3 Skins need to be salted and not arrive frozen

4 Give Devonia a ring with your details - the 2 ladies in the main office are very helpful

Tanning takes about 12 weeks, Devonia will ring you when the skins are ready and payment can be by credit card

Costs

As already said in other posts the cost is 30 +vat per skin

Add to that 2:50 for salting- if they deem it's required.

Returns

Skins can be returned by Devonia at 11 per bale - that's 1 skin upwards so the more being returned the cheaper it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I took some skins down yesterday and after a longish chat with the office staff thought the following might help.

1 Getting skins to them is your responsibility - Parcelforce seem the most popular courier service

2 Put the skins in a heavy duty bag before wrapping -builders rubble/waste sack is good. Bin liners are too flimsy

3 Skins need to be salted and not arrive frozen

4 Give Devonia a ring with your details - the 2 ladies in the main office are very helpful

Tanning takes about 12 weeks, Devonia will ring you when the skins are ready and payment can be by credit card

Costs

As already said in other posts the cost is 30 +vat per skin

Add to that 2:50 for salting- if they deem it's required.

Returns

Skins can be returned by Devonia at 11 per bale - that's 1 skin upwards so the more being returned the cheaper it is.

I can vouch for them. I collected 3 skins from them and they were all very good. The service was excellent and they did offer some advice;

Don't freeze your skins.
    Salt them only.
    Salt them once skinned and then again a day later to ensure all is fully covered.

ArthursC

Do the hairs not eventually fall out? I have heard that it is nigh on impossible to tan a deer skin so that it lasts unless it is not handled ie on a mount?

ATB

Rob
    243Sako

Perfect, thanks for that. May get a couple off between xmas and new year.

Rob,
    I've tanned quite a few hides from CWD to Roe, and never had a problem with "slip" when the hair stars to fall out

I salt cured a roe skin early in the summer and my daughter uses it as a mat.
    No hair loss yet but I'll watch out for it.

The skin I sent for tanning- from a roe buck she shot- is to become a cloak for her re-enactment/warcraft hobby and, as it will get some quite harsh treatment, I hope will resist the urge to shed

The problem is not hair slip but the because deer hairs are hollow and after a few years the hairs start to break off if stood on etc The root stays in but the individual hair becomes half the size. Just a bit brittle is all!

I want to get some goat skins done with them, will have to be nanny goats not billy's though!

This is great, I used them before when I worked for the Nat Trust, good service. Only prob is that I have frozen skin already - is it worth unfreezing and then salting?

If the skin is worth something you you either in monetary terms or sentimental then I would suggest giving them a ring and aksing what best to do next. They may say put it in the post straight from the freezer for next day delivery, but I believe if they have to salt it they do charge a little more. Very helpful company though, although when I made my first enquiry and asked would they repair bullet holes and at what cost they did admit they weren't sure what they could do! Most sheep skins don't have them!