Thread: 130g in .308

130g in .308

Ok the mrs is getting reloading gear for crimbo, so will be starting to reload my own rounds.
    At the moment i shoot sako 123g and my browning x bolt seems to like them, ( not really tried anything else except a few winchester 150g which it didnt like. Im not going to go to the shop and buy a box of this and that to try as a dont have the money to do with factory ammo. I would like to load sako 123g bullet heads but are a mare to find. I have heard a few things about hornady 130g sp. But cant find them in the catalog so not sure if they going to discontinue them. So would like to find some sako or something similar. Any recommendations. Load data anything will help me choose without buying loads of boxes to try. I would like soft point not bt.
    Thanks in advance.

Well they are on Hornady's web site:-

http://www.hornady.com/store/.308-30-CAL/

Take a look for your self. Oh and yes the do shoot well normally in a .308 and they do perform well on Deer in my experience. My load used Hodgdons BLC-2 powder The 2009 Hodgdons book I have says:-

Start load BLC-2 48.0 grains ......................................... max 51.5 grains

I found that 50.0 grains with the bullet loaded to a COL of 2.700" shot well in MY rifles. You would need to work up the load in you own rifle of course . I used either CCI200 or the Rem 9 1/2 primer depending on which I could get easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoony View Post
    Ok the mrs is getting reloading gear for crimbo, so will be starting to reload my own rounds.
    At the moment i shoot sako 123g and my browning x bolt seems to like them, ( not really tried anything else except a few winchester 150g which it didnt like. Im not going to go to the shop and buy a box of this and that to try as a dont have the money to do with factory ammo. I would like to load sako 123g bullet heads but are a mare to find. I have heard a few things about hornady 130g sp. But cant find them in the catalog so not sure if they going to discontinue them. So would like to find some sako or something similar. Any recommendations. Load data anything will help me choose without buying loads of boxes to try. I would like soft point not bt.
    Thanks in advance.
    Hornady no. 3020. still listed and current Spoony

why not try sierra pro hunter 125 grn very close to the sako.

i may do, im awaiting to hear peoples thoughts on them and others, what powders, etc etc

have used sako 123 and sierra ph 125 .. a very good bullet both of them ,as brit said blc-2 is a very good powder, i used the data from lee's modern reloading 2, i also had good results with nosler 125 bt at 2900 fps and have also just loaded and tried on the range barnes ttsx 110grn which just by chance has the same poi as the sierra's all with blc-2 . cant wait to get them and my new rifle out on the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by satellite buck View Post
    why not try sierra pro hunter 125 grn very close to the sako.
    I have got some of the Sako 123 grainers from a friend and intend to try them with the load below when conditions improve.
    I found the 125gr Pro Hunter to be very accurate but I have never shot a deer with them.
    HWH.

Hi Spoony,

In .308 I have used Nosler Bt 125 at 2800fps on Roe and found that they caused more than usual carcase damage. I have used Hornady 130 gn at 2900fps on Red and found that they did not exit the animal unless they were out at around 200 yds. (too much expansion at close range). IMO a 150gn bullet at 2800fps works well for boiler room shots on all UK deer species at most ranges, good exit wound but not OTT. The trajectory for all these loads was virually identical. My favourite powders are N140 and Varget for .308. I hope that helps.

Stew

hi guys, i am new on this site and have tried posting a thread but not sure if it has worked? how can you tell please