Thread: Twist

Twist

What rate to go for 95 gr in 243

Deerpath, as a fixed rate that cannot be changed you should be selecting a bullet to work with what ever twist rate you have not the other way round.
    However most rifles range from 1:9 to 1:10 both of which will stabilize a 95grn bullet providing it is not of the VLD type.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by deerpath View Post
    What rate to go for 95 gr in 243
    I think you need to expand your question a bit and tell us what you are looking to achieve? The .243 in my gallery orginally had a 1:10 twist barrel and now it has a 1:8 twist barrel. A 95gr bullet will work with both of these twists. Regards JCS

I have had good results with 1:10 even better results with 1:8 but the 1:8 was a custom barrel. I dont think you will have to go any faster than 1:9 unless you want to go for 100/105s. I went for the 1:8 for the extra versitility between 95 and 105.

Dave

had a 1-9 twist that barrel just did not like 100grain bullets of any make. so i had a new pac-nor custom 1-8 twist fitted as the smith told me it will be just fine for 95-105 grain bullets well its a lot better but if i use 85 grain bullets in its unbelievable. i fined this a bit strange as a 1-8 should stabalize the heavy bullet better.

Well I had a Sauer 202 in .243 which I have managed to sell as I kept having the foreend piece touching the floating barrel despite Callum Ferguson's attention ! I have now bought a Sako 75 scrapper and think .243 is the right calibre to have a custon barrel made up for it. But I am aware that it is abit light for stags in September without perfect bullet type and placement and the legal requirement for 100 gr bullets. So I want to be able to use it for all things in UK as my 30.06 is a heavy varmint barrel for lugging up the hills. Is 1:9 going to be OK for all weights ?

I have a 1:10 that likes 100gn, but if you believe what you read it is a rarity.

If it is a custom barrel I would speak to the builder as they will know more about whatever brand of barrel it is that is going on it

Quote Originally Posted by deerpath View Post
    .. I have now bought a Sako 75 scrapper and think .243 is the right calibre to have a custon barrel made up for it....
    Have you considered getting the new barrel in 260 Rem, 7mm08 or .308? I had contemplated getting my 243 Sako rebarrelled to 260 Rem, but am now heading towards a 6XC. If you do stick with the 243 I would suggest 1:8 twist. Good luck. JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Have you considered getting the new barrel in 260 Rem, 7mm08 or .308? I had contemplated getting my 243 Sako rebarrelled to 260 Rem, but am now heading towards a 6XC. If you do stick with the 243 I would suggest 1:8 twist. Good luck. JCS
    Agree 100%. If you are going the custom rebarrel route, I would go with one of the 6.5's, much more versatile for all deer species in the UK, and the 100gr BT is a fantastic fox round if you are so inclined.

The 260rem is the simple way to go and you can get head stamped Lapua brass for it now.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......