custom stock

Bramble

I am thinking of putting a custom stock(more comfortable)on my Tikka T3.i am left handed but the rifle is ambi with right handed action,so i need left hand stock for right hand action ,anyone any ideas,looks are not important ,but i can't spend a fortune.Thanks

i think jackson rifles had a left handed stock for a right handed action on there website. it was a mcmillan

You can't go wrond with McMillan, I have just ordered a second after getting annoyed with my AICS once too often for being big and clumbersome.

Give Jacksons a bell or if not in any rush order direct. Lynn is great to deal with and it might save you a couple of quid....

Had rifle fitting recently by Alan Rose at West London Shooting School. 31 years ago his brother Michael fitted me for a shotgun. Alan was amazed to see the original receipt! A totally excellent service by Alan. Just looking for a stocker to adjust my T3. Anyone had good experiences with a stocker in north west / Wales?

You can't go wrond with McMillan, I have just ordered a second after getting annoyed with my AICS once too often for being big and clumbersome.

Give Jacksons a bell or if not in any rush order direct. Lynn is great to deal with and it might save you a couple of quid....

I had a love hate relationship with my AICS swapped it for a MANNERS without any loss of accuracy, which was my main fear, AICS is a fantastic stock if you like them :D

There is an Irish company that does aftermarket stocks for T3s, cant remember the name but will check it out,very smart...

Ordered a manners t4 stock for l/h t3 varmint 308 rimfire magic import direct so could order what you want, really impressed with the manners stuff.

Bramble,

If you don't mind walnut or laminate I think you'll find that Richard's Microfit will have what you're after. I know of someone that ordered a laminate recently in exactly the configuration you want. It's a nice stock. Downside is they need a bit of finishing.

Richards Microfit Gunstocks

Regards,

Tim

agree with tim1.very reasonable at £225 with waiting time about 14 weeks.very pleased with mine.not too much work to finish -just some sanding and oiling but you may need a professional to bed the action in.i'm sure that the configuration you want wont be a problem-give paul a ring and you will find him most helpful.a.t.b.richard.

Timber rifle stock expert needed

Many thanks to all the valuable contributions to my original question. But, the solutions proferred are not quite what I wanted. ;) Let me explain.

The background was to have a rifle fitting with scope on so that when I mount it, I am immediately looking down the Line of Sight to obviate those time consuming head and neck adjustments, just when the quarry decides to move on and the shooting opportunity is lost!

West London is the only Shooting School that I could find on line that shows on its website the 7 measurements taken for gun fitting. See http://www.shootingschool.co.uk/shooting-tuition-and-gun-fitting/bespoke-gun-fitting-service.php
They have downloadable forms for side by side and over and under shotguns. I chose the latter and expert Alan Rose completed it, not without a bit of head scratching, as the fitting progressed. The vertical distance between Line of Sight and top of the action was measured on a WLSS Sako with Swarowski scope and this compared with the same measurement of my Tikka 243 T3 with Leupold MkIV scope. Final corrections to the Bend at Heal and to Bend at Comb were made as I explained a LH 308 T3 with Swarowski Z6i would be the new kit.

I then purposely bought a timber stocked LH T3 so that once I had the prescription from WLSS I could measure the ex Tikka factory stock specification and calculate the changes to match with my WLSS prescription. So with the seven measurements provided by WLSS, I now have the following.

Changes in inches: Bend at Heal -1/4, Bend at Comb -1/4, Length of Pull to Heal -1/16, Length of Pull to Mid +3/8, Length of Pull to Toe +5/8, Cast ON at Heal +3/16, Cast ON at Toe +5/16".

So, after that long winded adventure, I am looking for the next expert, a timber stocker preferably located in the Midlands or North West to craft these changes.

Cheers, K

Attachments

• GunFit.ou.web.2010 (1).pdf
    473.1 KB · Views: 23
Although I have never used him I have heard some good things about Don the master stockers work:-

http://www.guns4u2.co.uk/

It might be worth giving him a call and discussing it with him. You can choose wild or traditional in styling check out his web site.

if i could make an observation , what seems to be bothering you is the eye relief factor , this is something i have found in the past to be a real pita ESPECIALLY with leupold scopes as they seem to be incredibly fussy in regard to eye relief, fine on a target rifle but not on a stalking one where you want quick target acquisition.
you say you are going to fit a swaro , can i suggest getting your new scope and rifle and see how you get on you may find the problem has disappeared with the alternative gear i sold a top of the range leupy for the very same reason yet with a zeiss the issue wasn't even an issue ;)

Thanks Brithunter. I'll contact Don and let you know how I get on.

Thanks landkeeper. I think you are absolutely right on the eye relief on the Leupold which was very unforgiving in acquiring the target, particularly when zoom was cranked up of course. I have been thinking has anyone has ever compared rifle scopes in this regard? Maybe worth a separate thread? Cheers, K

Don Robinson - Masterstocker - an example of his craft

P1030750.jpgP1030752.jpgP1030757.jpgP1030760.jpgDon Robinson took my new factory timber stocked T3 308 into his gentle loving care. In 6 weeks from commissioning to final product and comfortably under £375 he applied the WLSS prescription for me as a left hander and here is the result. When I mounted the rifle and settled comfortably on the cheek piece, one of 3 new pieces of walnut added, lo and behold, looking straight down the Z6i cross hairs! No more wrapping myself around some shorter stock and wasting precious time. He shaved the grip out to fit my thumb musculature too. As someone who grew up in a timber working family business, it was great to witness a true craftsman at work at his home workshop in Huddersfield and he rightly is known as Don, the Masterstocker. I recommend without hesitation Don to all who need their precious guns modifying to fit you, and not some factory robot. Cheers, K

I'm thinking of getting a left hand action in a right hand stock for shooting out of the drivers window and being able to cycle a round with my left hand (I'm right handed), and of course the stock should fit me on the RHS.

..just another good reason to add another calibre to the FAC:norty:

Back