Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit stuck....

A bit stuck....

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and fairly new to deer stalking (I've been once last April)

I'll be looking to get a dog to take stalking, but I'm a bit restricted in terms size of dog I can get.

realistically, what the smallest (yet manly grrr) dog I could train for tracking? I really wanted a lab, but my girlfriend is dead against it. She doesnt want a spaniel either. So I'm after a dog that will do the job, wont eat her cats and is fairly easy to train

I know I'm not asking much, but anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Oggy

Until you mentioned the cat, I would have said a jack russell,

look at a teckel.

Re: A bit stuck....

Quote Originally Posted by oggy
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and fairly new to deer stalking (I've been once last April)

I'll be looking to get a dog to take stalking, but I'm a bit restricted in terms size of dog I can get.

realistically, what the smallest (yet manly grrr) dog I could train for tracking? I really wanted a lab, but my girlfriend is dead against it. She doesnt want a spaniel either. So I'm after a dog that will do the job, wont eat her cats and is fairly easy to train

I know I'm not asking much, but anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Oggy
    no offence mate
    but why not do a little more stalking first
    no point having a dedicated stalking dog if you only go out stalking once or twice a year

if your serious about stalking and keen enough to train a dog sounds like you might need to get a more compatable girlfriend!!!!

Re: A bit stuck....

Quote Originally Posted by stone
    no offence mate
    but why not do a little more stalking first
    no point having a dedicated stalking dog if you only go out stalking once or twice a year
    Fair point!!

I'm doing my DSC1 in March, and I'm joining a syndicate too. hopefully by late spring I will have somewhere to shoot regular (well, as regular as I can which will be probably 1 weekend in 3)

I went stalking in April with a guy whos been stalking for years (same guys whos syndicate I'm joining) and I was completley hooked!!

Davie
    Oggy look at one of the coloured terriers Patterdale lakelands border etc ps use working stock all will track and hold deer if brought up from a pup they will be fine with the girlfriends cat. I worked both lakelands and Border terriers for years with great success.
    It is probably not the time to train a dog while you are in fact learning the basics your self.:

+1 for what 6.5x55 said i have a Cesky terrier that i use for finding deer.
    Train it to be cat friedly as a pup. My Teckle will hunt cats with a vengence. Mind you cats are cheap. May be easier to change girl friends

thanks for the info guys!!

anyone got any experience of the Manchester terrier or English Toy terrier?

or would they not be too suitable due to size?

And don't even think about a wirehaired pointer, I've had to bury two cats thanks to my soft old mutt.

Davie
    Oggy I said go for working stock if you wanted a pot lick er or /fanny lick er then i can get you a goof laso apso