Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay - what a rip off?

Ebay - what a rip off?

I recently sold a few (non-shooting) items on Ebay and was stunned to get a bill of 26.50 -

10% (yes, Ebay fees are now TEN PER CENT) of selling price plus-

Ebay insertion fee
    Extra photo fee
    Extra for banner / strapline thingy
    Extra for timed auction start
    Extra for putting a reserve on one of the items.

FFS - how much do these bar stewards need to make?

Merry Christmas Ebay (and to Lichtenstein - or is it Luxembourg) where they are domiciled so as to avoid tax?

Someone should start FreeBay and take advert revenue?

Rant over
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Not joking mate they are a real rip off.

eBay has become too expensive, too complicated and too dominated by large retailers. It has completely changed from what it originally set out to be. Regular classifieds like gumtree and preloved are due a comeback in my opinion.

I feel for you buddy, I recently sold a racebike on sleezebay along with some other exercise items that I had bought, and let's be honest, would NEVER be used - LOL!

In any case, I got invoiced 165 and was in complete disbelief!!! I actually refused to pay them and complained to OFT, etc...ended up paying in the end after about 6 months when they took it to a collections agency - koooooooontz...

will NEVER use them again, never!

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I feel for you buddy, I recently sold a racebike on sleezebay along with some other exercise items that I had bought, and let's be honest, would NEVER be used - LOL!

In any case, I got invoiced 165 and was in complete disbelief!!! I actually refused to pay them and complained to OFT, etc...ended up paying in the end after about 6 months when they took it to a collections agency - koooooooontz...

will NEVER use them again, never!
    165!!!! Jaysus.

Where is the cost difference to Ebay be it a 5 fluffy toy or a 5k motor bike (or whatever).

This surely has to be (somehow) not legal?
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Gumtree it. Getting more popular all the time

Paypal take 4% as well. So best part of 15% as paypal is owned by ebay.
    But an auctioneer takes 20% from buyer and seller.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I use eBay a lot - mostly for buying but also for selling. In general people use it because, in the UK, it has an active community of 14 million people and there are 10 million items for sale at any one time. Gumtree, by comparison, has just under 14 million visitors per month and 34,000 new adverts per day, so respectable, but not in the same league.

eBay tells you exactly what the predictable costs are when you submit your listing - what's unpredictable is knowing how much your item is going to sell for.

Like all things, though, you have to know how to play the game.

So, looking at your costs:

Ebay insertion fee
    Extra photo fee
    Extra for banner / strapline thingy
    Extra for timed auction start
    Extra for putting a reserve on one of the items.

Most of these were avoidable. For example:

Why didn't you wait for one of the weekends when they do zero insertion fees? That way there's no additional fee.
    Why did you want a banner/strapline thing? It makes minimal difference to the buyer and you can avoid the additional fee.
    Why did you do a timed auction and not wait until the time you wanted it to start/finish? That way there's no additional fee.
    Why didn't you do a starting price rather than putting a reserve? That way there's no addditional fee.

I can understand why you incurred these costs (convenience, time, etc.) but to be honest most of them could have been avoided.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

their final value fees are still expensive for an online service that is very restrictive.
    I have no interest in accepting payment through paypal having been shafted royally by their "seller protection insurance".

if I write that I dont want to take payment through paypal they will let the ad run for 6 days and then delete it just as people are getting interested.
    I have tried in vain to sell an iPhone 4s.
    It has sold three times so far and I have had people who couldn't pay, would only use paypal despite a very clear listing that told them not to pay without contacting me first.

finally managed to find a buyer who could read after three wasted weeks!

They pissed me off real time a few weeks ago when I wanted to sell some reloading equipment. They removed the auction as I tried selling "prohibited item", despite the fact you can buy plenty of reloading stuff off eBay anyway. Support was really unhelpful and they said it is for reloading and falls into category of "firearms and parts of firearms" as reloading items are for making bullets, which are parts of firearms. 30 min of my life lost talking to idiots...