Suzuki Jimny and Accessories

Uncle Norm

Further to Big Pete's thread.

For the past four years I have used a Jimny for my stalking and other shooting activities. Stalking is in woodland and farmland.

I removed the back seats completely, which gives enough room for my dog and a carcass tray etc. When going after the larger species, I combine it with a Brenderup trailer with jockey wheel and one of David Stretton's excellent hoists. This has enabled me to deal with Fallow and Red when I am alone, without risking injury. I fix the hoist to the towball, lift the deer and field dress it, then push the trailer underneath and lower the carcass into it. I carry the dismantled hoist in the trailer leaving the back of the Jimny for other kit. I have fitted a set of roof bars too and can carry a lightweight portable high seat on them, if needed.

Clearly the carcass needs to be in a position where one can get the vehicle near, if alone and unable to use a drag bag or sled.
I know this is tempting fate but I have never been stuck in the Jimny as it will go anywhere where one would reasonably take a four wheel drive. I does about 38 mpg and is an ok ride on the road providing one is not too fussy. Two persons can be accommodated but it is a squeeze with kit etc.

My Jimny is now ten years old and has been no trouble whatsoever and secondhand relatively cheap to buy. Worth considering for the lone stalker if one accepts it's limitations in size relative to internal carrying capacity.

Although I have never had a Suzuki I have to agree mostly. I seriously looked at a few S410's, Jimny being out of our price range, but once again it came solely down to lack of room. There is no way I could use it with seats removed as I often have to both Mother and Father. So we are saddled with a F/S vehicle. Stuff like wheelchairs take up more room than people realise.

Have to say I generally find a Jimny pretty unstoppable. I have got mine stuck once, I straddled a bush and it pulled the vacuum hose which operates the hubs loose. All of a sudden only two wheel drive and I am in a bit of trouble!!! Still it gave quite a few people a laugh.

David,

Goes anywhere does it.......what's that strap on the front for then??
:rofl:
Just kiddin.

that when i go offroading in it, its a just incase strap, cus i have abit of a habit of going through very very deep water.

ive had the water half way up the windscreen before :eek::eek: and the thing still keeps going.

good old suzuki

Back