Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TB

TB

Can any one give me some clues on TB in deer
    as my local farmers are more than a little worried about it and could mean i need to shoot more deer than normal as a result from the the conversations i hav had tonite with them while doing the xmas rounds

Thanks guys for the pm's and BC for that link
    looks like i will hav a heavy roe cull ahead of me in the next few months,
    looks like a case of prevention better than the cure

Sporting Rifle this month printed the same article as is in the link but with the following extra paragraph

Wild deer may have to be culled to curb the spread of TB in cattle. Reducing the herds of infected Fallow deer "May play a role in lowering risks to cattle" say government scientific advisers even though they ruled out a badger cull in England because it could not" meaningfully contribute" to eradicating the disease on farms .The more robust Welsh Assembly is pressing ahead with plans for a pilot Badger cull.

Earlier in the article it states that "The key results of the second report indicate that deer are likely to pose a lower risk to cattle than Badgers are, through out most of the South West of England and Wales"
    Looks like they are happy to have a Deer cull that are of a lower risk but not happy to have a cull of Badgers that are a higher risk !!!

Davie
    I smell a rat here its just a small letter to farmers landowners and government officials form the DCS or the DI and they will be in there like a shot flattening every thing. MERRY CHRISTMAS STONE make sure when they go to your area they get feck all.

Stone,
    don't be too hasty flattening all those roe.
    We have been involved with the testing of deer for TB on Glos, for some time now and can tell you that of all the deer tested it seems that the fallow are the ones that get infected..Although we are not privvy to all the results we do get feed back relating to our results and the neighbouring farms.We have tested roe and have had only negative feedback.
    So don't go flattening roe on the back of a TB scare,Of all the deer tested it was the fallow that were most susceptable to the disease,I think the official figure was 8%,This inturn was due to the herd characteristics of fallow, the area we tested had several hundred fallow over a very small area less than 1000 acres. With densities so high the infection rate was bound to be high, or so you would of thought.The initial testing took place with a 100% of deer shot proving + for TB. Testing continued and because they were small batches we did not get the results.
    We finally heard that there was to be a mass cull on the pretext of the initial testing of all the fallow for TB in and around the area we had been testing..
    I think at this point it was finally dawning on the landowners that if TB was found in a high percentage of recovered deer then the implications could be far reaching for the stalking community in that area.
    It involved approx 30-40 guns in a co-ordinated cull with an aim to have least a minimum of 80 fallow to test. Final results after two days cull were 34 deer shot that could readily be sampled.The deer themselves were to brought into to central point as is! ungralloched and unbled. the testing was done by two other persons so as to get uniform results.
    The results as far as we know, bacause we were never informed officially of the results were a resounding negative..
    What we couldn't understand was initial testing showed positive yet the official cull was a resounding negative..
    Don't get me wrong there are deer here with TB we have witnessed it first hand on more than one occasion, perhaps its a seasonal flare up but who knows!
    What I can tell you is that we have never seen TB in roe or munties, so it seems that it is a fallow oreintated disease.
    Know thats justs my opinion!
    Being an un-educated bumpkin it counts for nothing probably..

regards
    griff

We shoot on a few places near cirencester and one of the landowners had a letter off DEFRA stating that there were reports that deer in his area had TB, he also has a few large setts on his place but they never mention that the badgers may have it too
    There is a big population of fallow around his area but they only seem to come to him if pushed from elsewhere but now when in season its shoot on site

Quote Originally Posted by apollo
    We shoot on a few places near cirencester and one of the landowners had a letter off DEFRA stating that there were reports that deer in his area had TB, he also has a few large setts on his place but they never mention that the badgers may have it too
    There is a big population of fallow around his area but they only seem to come to him if pushed from elsewhere but now when in season its shoot on site
    Apollo
    i think this is the very reason why my land owners and surrounding land owners are now a little worried, just they see the roe all the time and just occassionaly bunches of fallow passing through, as they can't do anything about the badgers, i think the deer are going to get a raw deal

Griff
    that was some reply and i am very gratefull for that , a couple of other site members hav given me the same advice
    so thank you
    i am no-where near the suspected TB case's but it stll does not stop the farmers worrying
    i shall now sort out as much info as i can and present this to my farmers to help maybe put thier minds at ease a little but also shoot a few to start off with before resuming on the fallow
    thanks guys

Stone

Could you not suggest to your farmers you will continue as mormal with the cull and if you get evidence then you will increase the cull?

Just a thought and I certainly don't want you to think I am teaching you to suck eggs.

RF

Hi Stone Here is a lead in to the report on bTB in deer. It gives incidence and location. Pages 2,5,7,9,11 will be of particular interest to you. Once you have recovered from your Father Christmas role and and had a cup or two of council house tea read. If you want to discuss phone me and we can go through it.
    Happy Xmas

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/tb/p...survey2008.pdf