Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 homeload

.308 homeload

Hi Everyone,
    I have just started home loading and am after some advice, has anyone used Hornaday 110grain VMax in .308?
    i currently use:

Winchester cases
    Fed large primers
    43 grains VV N140 powder
    125gr BT Sierra bullet
    with fantastic accuracy (3 in the same hole @ 100yrds) but i the meat damage is a bit much on our smaller quarry. Hence the intrest in 110g VMax bullets, but my worry is the fact that is such a short bullet, will it be a huge jump to the lands? will it be consistant? ETC.................

all advice welcomed..

The V.Max will probably do more damage with the same shot placement as they were designed for vermin species, not deer.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    The V.Max will probably do more damage with the same shot placement as they were designed for vermin species, not deer.
    +1

Try going up to a 150gr hunting bullet instead - Nosler 150gr BT if you want to stay with a polymer tip. Slower speed will cause less carcase damage than a lighter bullet running faster.

I have loaded the V-Max in 308 as a plinking load when I was starting out in reloading. I had a load with Reloader 15, can't remember the details now, but it shot well. However, as already stated I would imagine the damage would be greater than with a normal spire point type round. I didn't have any problems with seating depth as the first length I loaded them to, direct from the book, worked well.

If you are looking for a very light load in 308 then I think Barnes now do a 110 grain TSX and this might give you less damage. There is data for it on their website. Initially they claimed some amazing velocity for it but I see they have now ammended this to a more resonable 3586fps. I imagine such a bullet would also do a good job on deer.

Thank you all for your responses,
    i am aiming for a MV of as close to 2600 FPS so as to assist in less carcas damage, which is why i thought a lighter bullet would be better for B/C.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    Thank you all for your responses,
    i am aiming for a MV of as close to 2600 FPS so as to assist in less carcas damage, which is why i thought a lighter bullet would be better for B/C.
    If you are wanting 2600 - 2700fps then you'll be right on the money with a 150gr bullet. Good BC available in .30cal and you can use the one round for all deer species.

Perfect, thank you Orion for your help,
    like everyone i am trying to create the perfect round for my rifle (steyr) if i can shoot at 50yrds and at 300/250 with only a 2" diference ill be happy,
    do you have a ,308? what powder would you use with the 150gr or is it trial and error?

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    Perfect, thank you Orion for your help,
    like everyone i am trying to create the perfect round for my rifle (steyr) if i can shoot at 50yrds and at 300/250 with only a 2" diference ill be happy,
    do you have a ,308? what powder would you use with the 150gr or is it trial and error?
    you can most likely use your current load, just substitute 150gr Sierra prohunters (don't forget to work back up to 43gn)
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

I don't think you'll be able to get it that flat shooting - not out to 300.

I've a .308 Steyr-Mannlicher Model L 'Varmint' with the semi-heavy forged candytwist barrel and ventilated forend stock. Bit heavier than your average stalking rifle but it's never let me down and seen service on most UK deer from muntjac to our biggest red stags down here - plus some exotics and other domestic animals.

I was using 44.5 grains of Reloader 12 & CCI 200 primers before I put it away for a while, and now find they don't do that powder anymore. I've been dabbling with Reloader 15 but first impressions are that it isn't quite as accurate with that one - 1" but not keyholing. It might have something to do with the crappy batch of RP cases I've reloaded so I'll use the proven IMI ones when I've finished shooting them and see if it changes.

Anyone use another manufacturer's powder that approximates the old Reloader 12?

A 110 grain V-Max at 2600 out of a 308, assuming a 100 yard zero, will be about 20 inches low at 300 or with a 200 yard zero it will be about a foot low.

I get 3000 fps with 150 grain Hornady Spire Points from my 308 and even that is going to be 8 inches low at 300 with a 200 yard zero, or about a foot low at 300 with a 100 yard zero.

Out of interest the Barnes at 3600fps will be 8 inches low at 300 with a 100 yard zero, or nearly 6 inches low with a 200 yard zero.

Most of these figures are calculated, but give a useful indication of likely performance.

Gravity sucks.