Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal UK Calibres for Deer

Legal UK Calibres for Deer

OK so I was on a BASC course recently and was told that UK law says I can use a sub .240 calibre for roe etc provided it achieves 1700 ft/lbs as the law states "a projectile of no less than .240 diameter OR achieving 1700 ft/lbs" (according to the lecturer anyway).

Has anyone heard of this or had any experience?

North of the border you can, but down here it's .240 minimum
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    OK so I was on a BASC course recently and was told that UK law says I can use a sub .240 calibre for roe etc provided it achieves 1700 ft/lbs as the law states "a projectile of no less than .240 diameter OR achieving 1700 ft/lbs" (according to the lecturer anyway).

Surely that should read .240 diameter and 1700 ft/lbs in England & Wales - Scottish & N.Irish rules are different

ENGLAND & WALES

Red deer, Fallow, Sika AND Roe deer need a MINIMUM legal requirement of .240 calibre and MINIMUM muzzle energy of 1700 foot pounds.
    There is NO RESTRICTION on bullet weights.

Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer need a MINIMUM legal requirement of .220 CENTREFIRE and a MINIMUM muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a MINIMUM bullet weight of not less than 50 grains.

BULLETS MUST BE either soft nosed or hollow nosed.

Regards, M

SCOTLAND

All species -the bullet weight must be of a MINIMUM of 100 grains and have a MINIMUM muzzle velocity of 2450 feet per second AND a MINIMUM muzzle energy of 1750 foot pounds.

Roe deer only – the bullet weight must be a MINUMUM of 50 grains and have a MIMIMUM muzzle velocity of 2450 feet per second and have a MINIMUM muzzle energy of 1000 foot pounds.

M

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post

Answer: Yes, everyone who knows what they are doing knows what the laws are in this respect.

Sorry to be the one to tell you but... you clearly have a lot you need to learn if you are to pursue an interest in stalking.

Try getting hold of one or other of the regional deer stalking "best practice" guides, as appropriate to where you wish to stalk. Or possibly better still get in contact with a reputable stalking agent/stalker and be guided by them.

As Tamus suggests, a good place to start: http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/best_practice/

As try the forum search facility as many basic questions will have been covered more than once.

Thanks all, though I know the law around this; my query was why I was being told something different on a BASC course by a professional - the lecturer maintained that the ACTUAL law stated "or" rather than "and"?

Apparently it's mis-quoted on a lot of "best practice guides" and websites - I shoot .243 so it doesn't really affect me, I just thought this was an interesting point as theoretically a few normal foxing calibres would be legal for UK deer if this was in fact the case (there being no calibre restrictions providing you achieve a minumum of 1700ft/lbs)?

Districts for different laws are UK&Wales, Scotland, and N.ireland - I'm well aware of all 3 having their differences - but the UK is where normally shoot so thought this was an interesting topic...

Incidentally I'm not a fan of using .243 on reds, especially at 150+ as I think something less wind-driven like a .308 is much more suitable... however a 100gn 243 is legal. Thoughts anyone? (and before anyone starts abusing my accuracy I do shoot my .243 out to 600 at targets so I've no problem hitting things, just feel long-shots with lighter calibres are a little irresponsible)