Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: licensing fees - ACPO proposal

licensing fees - ACPO proposal

As some of you may have read in this weeks Shooting Times, A rise of up to 88% in licensing fees for shotgun and firearms certificate holders has been proposed by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO).

The increases are outlined in a briefing paper prepared for the Home Office by ACPO's Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group.

If the proposals are accepted, they would increase the cost of obtaining a firearm or shotgun certificate from £50 to £93.80 - a rise of 88%.

Standard certificate renewals would rise from £40 to £66, an increase of 65% cent.

The NGO are writing to the relevant Home Office minister to complain about these proposals, I applaud them for getting involed with this fight and I am very pleased that another organisation is supporting BASC long held position.

It has long been BASC’s position that before there is any increase in licence fees there must be a consistent approach. We want all police forces to follow Home Office guidelines which is not being done across the board. They have got to conform to this standard. They cannot ask for ‘full cost recovery’ on licence fees before they show that they are efficient, that costs are minimised and that a standardised approach to licensing is applied across the country.

We want a full and thorough examination of licensing procedures across every police force in the country to make sure they are firstly adhering to Home Office guidelines and secondly applying a consistent and practical approach to firearms licensing.

This is an important issue, I am sure you all agree!
    David

Agreed - but not holding my breath for any kind of consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka 260 View Post
    Agreed - but not holding my breath for any kind of consistency.
    I don't see why not, the Home Office Guidlines are not that difficult to understand.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC View Post
    As some of you may have read in this weeks Shooting Times, A rise of up to 88% in licensing fees for shotgun and firearms certificate holders has been proposed by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO).

The increases are outlined in a briefing paper prepared for the Home Office by ACPO's Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group.

If the proposals are accepted, they would increase the cost of obtaining a firearm or shotgun certificate from £50 to £93.80 - a rise of 88%.

Standard certificate renewals would rise from £40 to £66, an increase of 65% cent.

The NGO are writing to the relevant Home Office minister to complain about these proposals, I applaud them for getting involed with this fight and I am very pleased that another organisation is supporting BASC long held position.

It has long been BASC’s position that before there is any increase in licence fees there must be a consistent approach. We want all police forces to follow Home Office guidelines which is not being done across the board. They have got to conform to this standard. They cannot ask for ‘full cost recovery’ on licence fees before they show that they are efficient, that costs are minimised and that a standardised approach to licensing is applied across the country.

We want a full and thorough examination of licensing procedures across every police force in the country to make sure they are firstly adhering to Home Office guidelines and secondly applying a consistent and practical approach to firearms licensing.

This is an important issue, I am sure you all agree!
    David
    I agree with and support the BASC on this, but surely this is the time to ask for a centralised licensing office rather than each force having one. I believe that this could most efficiently be achieved if the task remained with the police as per firearms act, but with interested forces having to put in competitive bids against each other to get the contract. Local FEO's would be retained and report back a single (national) management team rather than the current duplicated, inconsistent and inefficient process. Of course if we don't ask for this all we will get is ACPO trying to screw as much money out of the shooting community as it can for a service which on occasion leaves a lot to be desired with no incentive to improve

Agreed. My local force are a rule unto themselves. Just sent my ticket back for mentoring to be removed. Phoned up after a week and asked how long it would be. 12 weeks was the reply and that they dealt with each enquiry chronologically. I explained that it was simply a case of editing the ticket text and reprinting- 3 mins tops and another 3 to post. It fell on deaf ears!
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

I must stress, that is not just BASC taking this forward, the NGO are vey much in the battle too and we have exactly the same objectives.

Personally I donít mind paying a reasonable fee Ė if the service is there.

The cost of a licence has not changed for ages though so put that in context and even with a RPI increase since the last price change we would be somewhere near whatís being proposed.

Consistency is perfectly possible, there is one Act and one set of Home Office Guidance and one set of ACPO best practice, all the police licensing teams have to do is follow the HO / ACPO guidance and thatís it.

But several donít, they add in silly protocols and procedures that are not in the guidance that take time and money for no public benefit what so ever then deliver a poor service to the shooters!

Throwing more money at an inefficient and inconsistent system that several licensing authorities seem to have created themselves wonít fix the problem.

David

In addition to the lack of consistency between the forces in administering the Firearms Acts and failure to follow the HO Guidelines, you could add that many of them are failing to process and renew/grant certificates within a reasonable timescale - often putting FAC holders in a potentially serious position. Particularly so if they fob them off with excuses and warm words instead of issuing a Section 7 Permit when they overrun. Presumably because they don't want permit issue to be monitored and count against them?

I do not understand the need for the onerous part 1 FAC. The shotgun certificate is quite adequate. Or are we saying that shotguns are less lethal ? All weapons are lethal in the wrong hands, even knives ! What are the crime stats for crime with a) legally held shotguns b)legally held rifles c) illegally held all firearms. Mentoring seems to have crept in with Devon & Cornwall recently. Central licensing to Home Office guidelines is the only way forward.

shotguns are less lethal!!! I'll stand 200m away from you whilst you take a punt at me with your shottie and then I'll pop back with my 30-06. We can even introduce a wooden door or similar for cover if you like.

I agree that if the fees go up, and at some point they surely must then we should get good service across the board. N Yorks are generally very good however.

Maybe we should spend some of our members money on pushing things a little more, rather than sending the odd letter here & there?............ & No I'm certainly not B.A.S.C. bashing here either, just wanting a bit of service, (Read clout).
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!