Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't shoot into the air with a rifle......

Saw this earlier. It really brings it home to think how sparce the USA is compared to the UK.

It is a complete no no. It also follows the death of Dave Higginbotham of Lone Star Rifles, shot himself thru' the heart while taking a rifle out of his truck, also in the USA.

I remember a story a long time ago when a young woman was sat on a stile on Salisbury Plain and she just fell off,it turned out that a .22lr had hit her in the back of the head and killed her instantly,this was shot from a very long way away.

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    Saw this earlier. It really brings it home to think how sparce the USA is compared to the UK.

It is a complete no no. It also follows the death of Dave Higginbotham of Lone Star Rifles, shot himself thru' the heart while taking a rifle out of his truck, also in the USA.
    Anyone who carries a loaded rifle from the field or the range is a stupid idiot. I am just sorry the man who was "cleaning" his rifle didn't shoot himself instead of that poor girl. I recently hunted with 4 relative novices and I made them show me their unloaded rifles at the end of each day. And carrying a loaded weapon in a motor vehicle? Stupid as well.

Just an American hunter's viewpoint though....~Muir

Is 1.5 miles with a muzzle loader really possible.Showing my ignorance here.

I don't know how the ballistics work out, but (showing my ignorance too) I was once chatting to a guy doing demonstrations at a show who said one of his was throwing a 300grain bullet with a MV of nearly 2000fps. For no good reason, I'd always thought muzzleloaders were a lot slower...

Quote Originally Posted by Knottaclu View Post
    I don't know how the ballistics work out, but (showing my ignorance too) I was once chatting to a guy doing demonstrations at a show who said one of his was throwing a 300grain bullet with a MV of nearly 2000fps. For no good reason, I'd always thought muzzleloaders were a lot slower...
    On this, I will describe the muzzle loaders efforts when at the ranges, On butts control duty, like a wheel barrow full of bricks landing in the backstop, so along with your demo guy's description....... make your own conclusions.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    What an odd thread.

A girl was shot in the head and died and that is very sad and unfortunate. However, according to both the newspaper article and the tv news bulletin embedded in it, that is all that the authorities are able to say with any certainty.

So, why oh why is there a silly headline proclaiming a "freak accident"?

For all anyone seems to know at this stage, it may have been murder.

Sometimes, I really can see why our colonial cousins get a bit hacked off with this board and the gratuitous Yank bashing (this time over issues of gun safety) and the general "clucking" that goes on from time to time.

Whilst I don't really wish to get drawn into this, I don't really see any Yank Bashing here... as we saw the other day it happened in NZ recently and it happens here, everywhere there are firearms there are accidents, for those of us privileged to have them it's always good to be kept on our toes. Safety safety safety.

And RIP to those who have fallen for the sake of procedure not being followed.

I do not believe what has been reported, sorry but it simply does not add up, there is something else going on there, some agenda that we are not aware of. I seem to recall this is the second claim where a bullet/ball from a muzzle loading rifle has travelled unbelievable distances and done serious damage.

Somehow I get the feeling that it's being used to gain further control on such guns in the US which are in fact largely uncontrolled I believe. Not for much longer my friends ............................................ not for much longer.