LEE classic loader - are they any good?

bunnybuster

As the title states.

Im want to reload for .22 hornet and wondered if I should get one of these or spend a bit more and buy presses etc?

I wont get through many rounds, so the time isn't really a factor.

Just wondered if they were a good starting point for a bit of experimenting?

ive got 2 of them on in 243 and 308 cracking little tools

buy one simple.

the loads ive produced with the loader have all been under a inch @100yards and some loads touching ,what more do you want ???????

I reload .243 for a mate and use both press and a classic reloader, depending on time and how many rounds I am doing. Properly set up the classic produces equally accurate loads. I always use an autoprime though (cant get used to hammering primers in:scared:) Very cost effective if you are not getting through a lot of rounds.
Sinbad:thumb:

have been wondering myself about getting one for my 308 but im hesitant as not sure if i can adjust seat depth and watching it done on youtube is scarry. as an alternitive what about the lee reloader press and hand press although you then need to buy a set of dies

its all good gear , tried and tested for years , but like most things your better off getting someone experienced to show you how to use kit that is potentialy dangrouse

Yes the seating depth is adjustable, I own one in .223 rem and .22 hornet.
It loads very accurate rounds in both, although these days I prefer a proper set of dies for the hornet.
I have proper dies for the .223 as well, but the ammo produced is no more accurate than the Lee Loader.

Neil. :)

as the gents above have said good kit i have lee reload kit and cloverleaf groups at 100+ simples

excellent reloading gear, you need nothing else, ever! not dangerous at all, what a load:rolleyes: just read the right books before you start filling the cases and banging the primers and bullets in and you'll be fine. fully adjustable for seating depth.

in addition to the set, all you need is:

a. scales (digital or not, your choice)- £10-£30
b. digital calipers - £10 ish
c. primer pocket cleaner £3 ish (don't 'really' need this)
d. chamfer tool £3 ish (don't 'really' need this)

powder - £35 ish
Primers - £5 ish
bullets - £28 ish

I started reloading for my .243 with just the set, £10 digital scales and calipers off ebay + powder, primes and bullets and used brass I'd shot previously from factory loads. with this I managed to create a load that shoots about 0.25" at 100yds consistently.

seriously, what the heck else do you need!

I can't say enough about these kits. When working up loads for 30-06 and 270 this past fall I used these kits right a the range. Agreed. They are not dangerous at all.
This is from my .222 Winchester. Five shots, 100 yards, "banged together" with a Lee Loader.~Muir
222group5shotsRED072.jpg

Think I will invest then!

Anyone got one for .22 hornet knocking around that they dont use anymore?? .....cough, cough Hornet 6........

i took muir's advice a long while ago and baught one for my 270 its a fantastic little tool i have a full size press now but still use this from time to time . great for setting up a load at the range ,atb wayne

Buy one you won't regret it, i have the .243 and 30-06.
They are NOT dangerous.
I have reloaded 100's and 100's over the years and only one primer went off, and to this day i still don't know why.
The powder dipper is incredibly accurate.
I got my 30-06 from the states as there weren't any in the UK when i wanted one, and it was £5 cheaper.
Cheers
Richard

Buy one you won't regret it, i have the .243 and 30-06.
They are NOT dangerous.
I have reloaded 100's and 100's over the years and only one primer went off, and to this day i still don't know why.
The powder dipper is incredibly accurate.
I got my 30-06 from the states as there weren't any in the UK when i wanted one, and it was £5 cheaper.
Cheers
Richard

Yep... Powder dipper are more accurate than ones 3 time the price. Very accurate

Think I will invest then!

Anyone got one for .22 hornet knocking around that they dont use anymore?? .....cough, cough Hornet 6........

Sorry mate already gone to a new home, I kept the .223 one as it loads just as good a round as anything else.
Although the hornet one worked and loaded accurate ammo I could never get rid of the very slight step the bullet
leaves as it goes in a fraction out of true.
You really need to flare the case mouth to stop it happening, and then crimp to finish it off, make no difference
to the round, just looks pretty :oops:

have been looking at the dippers. would you suggest scales as well as dippers.

what are the advantages of having a press and seperate dies over the lee loader. got a unexpected bonus today so have a spare 100 quid burning a hole in my pontential reloading pocket:D

The Lee Classic Loader only neck sizes brass. With a bench mounted press you can full-length resize brass if needs be. As to the Dipper and Scale question: A dipper cannot be adjusted so a scale will allow you more versatility in load development. I have many presses and dies but keep Lee Classic Loaders for every caliber that I can. Makes great ammo. Sometimes I make custom dippers for my favorite load and put it in the kit with the factory dipper. An old cartridge case sawed and filed to hold the correct charge, then epoxied to a bit of stiff wire makes a great dipper!~Muir

My custom dippers are less elaborite Muir, I just cut the next size up down a little :lol:
Although I now tend to use an RCBS powder measure, it seems to be accurate enough as long as I keep it better than 1/3 full.

Neil: I did that too but then realized that I was carving up a lot of dippers.... and I always have junk brass around with which to make dippers. It's particularly helpful to make it from brass of the same caliber as the loader with the grain wt and powder etched onto the case with a sharp pick or electro-pencil.~Muir

It's particularly helpful to make it from brass of the same caliber as the loader with the grain wt and powder etched onto the case with a sharp pick or electro-pencil.~Muir

Very good point, scrap brass or not it's worth sacrificing a case to do it that way :thumb:

I bought a Lee dipper set.
I dont use scales.

the loads I settled on are an exact single scoop for 270 which is so quick.
243 is a bit more fiddly as it has two scoops.
by sinking the scoop into the powder in a low pot rather than scooping you can get a more uniform density of charge in each scoop. I use a wooden lolly stick to square of the top back into the powder pot

I recommend getting a funnel rather than incurring an RSI adding powder charge using the loader itself.
With 50 rounds in a home made holder I go through them a stage at a time, check they are all sized, then all primed, charged and then seat 50 bullets. I find that easier than doing the whole process on each cartridge.

until I discover why I need to FL resize I wont be using anything else.
both calibres I load for produce sub 1" groups at 130yds with one producing sub 1cm groups. cant beat that for 30-35p a round!

Back