Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mixed feelings!?

Mixed feelings!?

Having just watched the video link below, I was left with a feeling of mixed emotions and just wondered how my fellow British hunters would view the same footage.
    The young fella is clearly an outstanding shot which can't fail to impress. However, the ethics of such shooting must surely raise some questions!? He is certainly very good at what he does, but I doubt that all hunters will achieve such results. As a clay target coach, I am very aware that most shots at moving targets will miss behind if anywhere. How many piggies end up 'gut-shot' by less able shooters and run off? They say that he makes sure each animal is dead before the next shot, but i'm not convinced that is possible in such a flurry of activity!?
    I've never done driven boar shooting, although I have just had an invite to. I would never decry another nations sporting styles, but that does not look very appealing to me. With the population of wild boar on the increase in this country, is this an acceptable way to deal with them? Would it be acceptable to deal with the 'surge' of Muntjac in a similar fashion?
    (I haven't put this in the boar section as I feel it is more of a general discussion question).
    I welcome your thoughts?
    http://www.natuxo.com/videos-chasse/...202-84169.html

MS

Franz Albrecht Öttingen-Spielberg.
    One hellava shot on the boar!
    See this thread: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...Boar-Fever-DVD

I will say that despite the flurry of activity there didn't appear to be any boar getting back up.........
    Last edited by AdrianC; 21-12-2011 at 23:59.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

Wjowsers! this boy knows how to shoot! no, of course he does not make sure each animal is dead before he takes the next, he doesn't even reflect on the shot for a split second before moving to the next, so for the commentator to say that is just PC crap.

to be honest if you can shoot as well as this fella, who cares if you're taking 1 per group, or if you're taking 3 or 4? if you can place the bullet well consistently, the good on you and enjoy the sport. this to me is a bit like 4-legged driven pheasant/partridge shooting. looks great fun though

this chap shoots 7mm, what would you guys have picked for boar?

now he can shoot , on those driven days there will be beaters with dogs who will find most wounded animals , in the event they dont there are usualy a couple of trackers with dogs and a carbine who follow up runners and those boys can really track stuff . The UK population is far bigger than we are led to belive but i cant see driven boar happening here yet , not many people own a large enough bit of ground to make it worth while . One estate near me had a change of management and keeper and took to driving muntjac to shotguns , all very sad , until local opinion stopped it . To be honest they did have a problem but how many were wounded and how much revinue was lost in outing and trophy fees

As you say MS, he is clearly an outstanding shot which can't fail to impress. The 7mm makes short work of those

Boar for sure, the fact he can get on to one after another in such quick succession is astonishing.

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Very good shooting skills !
    What I like about hunting outside of britain ! is that hunters still know how to enjoy the hunt.
    without worrying about what others think of them !
    In my opinion british sportsmen need to start being open about enjoying there sport again as a recreation rather than hiding behind deer management.
    Not saying deer management isnt important.Just saying that enjoyment of your hunt is equally important.
    Did not see any suffering in above movie.
    Just a experianced hunter shooting very well
    cheers Dan
    DRIVEN BOAR IS A FAR MORE EFICIANT WAY OF CULLING PIGS THAN SPOT/STALK
    Last edited by conibear; 22-12-2011 at 02:22.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    Franz Albrecht Öttingen-Spielberg.
    One hellava shot on the boar!
    See this thread: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...Boar-Fever-DVD

I will say that despite the flurry of activity there didn't appear to be any boar getting back up.........
    Try looking about the 1.50 mark and one of those youngsters does get back up on the left of the ride and legs it. However there is no mistaking the guys skill and obvious practice. Only wish I could shoot as well.

That boy can shoot and he clearly knows what he is talking about if a little un orthadox with his long stocks because thats what he got used to as a kid!!

Dave

Seems totally educated about what he is doing and to shoot as good as that under that pressure is outstanding.A pleasure to watch and obviously spends a lot of time practicing the art.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Having just watched the video link below, I was left with a feeling of mixed emotions and just wondered how my fellow British hunters would view the same footage.
    The young fella is clearly an outstanding shot which can't fail to impress. However, the ethics of such shooting must surely raise some questions!? He is certainly very good at what he does, but I doubt that all hunters will achieve such results. As a clay target coach, I am very aware that most shots at moving targets will miss behind if anywhere. How many piggies end up 'gut-shot' by less able shooters and run off? They say that he makes sure each animal is dead before the next shot, but i'm not convinced that is possible in such a flurry of activity!?
    I've never done driven boar shooting, although I have just had an invite to. I would never decry another nations sporting styles, but that does not look very appealing to me. With the population of wild boar on the increase in this country, is this an acceptable way to deal with them? Would it be acceptable to deal with the 'surge' of Muntjac in a similar fashion?
    (I haven't put this in the boar section as I feel it is more of a general discussion question).
    I welcome your thoughts?
    http://www.natuxo.com/videos-chasse/...202-84169.html

MS
    In terms of pure ethics continental driven boar must surely rate as more ethical than Pheasant shooting in this country. I say this on the basis that there is bound to be some difficulty in rationalising the notion that animals should be reared purely to be killed for sport compared to the the situation of boar, which are wild and not reared by man (fingers crossed while I type this, we've all seen the boar feeder live cams) and of course it can then, much more easily, be reasoned that those boar numbers need to be controllled due to their population explosion and damage they do, as opposed to phezzies which never needed to be hatched in the first place.

I therefore take it that anyone who shoots pheasant will have relatively little difficulty with the idea of driven boar shoots and those that do not approve of driven boar shooting will have great dificulty with the ethics of the typical UK pheasant shoot.

If you don't like it don't do it.

If I were to go defensive I might point to the usual facts, i.e. game shooting aids all wildlife and puts wild meat on the table. That "wild" meat is usually well cared for before it is slaughtered and I would argue lives a rather more natural and therefore possibly more humane life first, compared to the bulk of our "domestically" reared meat animals before they are unceremoniously (or ceremoniously ) slaughtered.

Incidentally, I am much more uncomfortable with supposed shooting folk picking what's right and what's wrong in the manner a thread like this lends itself to than I am with accepting that some cultures come to different solutions to others, possibly though different beliefs. Such pickiness smacks, to me, of the same misguided bigotry inherent when alleged followers of Christianity express the belief that the followers of Judaism or Islam are getting it wrong. Come to think of it I have already read far too many racist and bigoted remarks on these fora, some of it supposedly passed off as humour when it's simply offensive... but I digress.

And, finally. We all should strive for perfection in what we do. Young Eric happens to be somewhere near the acme of that as far as driven boar shooting goes and I applaud his skill. I have no "mixed" feelings about what I saw in that video.