Thread: throat wear

throat wear

hi all,tonite ive been measuring oal's for some new heads to test in my 30-06,something made me check some oal's on my 1000yd load and ive found that the throat has got longer by 18 thousanths which surprised me,ive probaly fired 800 rounds since my last measure,i shot at 1000yds and 600yds the weekend and it didnt seem to have lost any accuracy,when zeroing at 1000yds i used a caldwell deadshot rear sandbag to see how it would do,i shot into 8 inches with 6 shots,probaly less,do i make the cartridge longer to keep at 20 fow off which could shoot sub inch 5 shot groups at 300yds or do i leave it as it is,i could make up 5 rounds to test,need expert advice on this,is there any experts out there,atvb swarovski

i just read through my post again and it doest sound like theres much wrong,think i better make 5 rounds up and test my current loads and compare,need a wind free day day on a weekend,mite have to be a frosty morning
    Last edited by swarovski; 23-12-2011 at 18:00.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    hi all,tonite ive been measuring oal's for some new heads to test in my 30-06,something made me check some oal's on my 1000yd load and ive found that the throat has got longer by 18 thousanths which surprised me,ive probaly fired 800 rounds since my last measure,i shot at 1000yds and 600yds the weekend and it didnt seem to have lost any accuracy,when zeroing at 1000yds i used a caldwell deadshot rear sandbag to see how it would do,i shot into 8 inches with 6 shots,probaly less,do i make the cartridge longer to keep at 20 fow off which could shoot sub inch 5 shot groups at 300yds or do i leave it as it is,i could make up 5 rounds to test,need expert advice on this,is there any experts out there,atvb swarovski
    I would say the different measurement you have taken is consistent with wear in the rifle, if a little excessive - you should adjust the OAL of ammunition you make up if you want to continue to get the fine accuracy you realised when you took the original measurement.
    I personally use my OAL gauge to check the measurement in the rifle at least every couple of hundred rounds - i.e its not a measure once and forget thing.

[snip]
    ive found that the throat has got longer by 18 thousanths which surprised me,ive probaly fired 800 rounds since my last measure,i shot at 1000yds and 600yds the weekend and it didnt seem to have lost any accuracy
    If the rifle remains accurate, then don't worry about throat wear: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you do increase the OAL of your handloads, to retain a constant distance from the lands, then you will also increase the volume inside the cartridge and this will decrease the peak pressure and may lower your velocity. Since this is your 1,000 yard rifle, you will not wish to lose any velocity.

-JMS

What did you use to check that wear? .018" sounds excessive but that said, if it still shoots, don't mess with the load unless you really want to. One truth about shooting is that if you don't want your throat to wear out, leave the rifle in the closet! Shooter wear out rifles eventually.~Muir

18 thou isnt that much for a rifle that shoots strings at targets and 800 rounds
    i always chase the lands on my rifles wonce i know it shoots good at say 10 0ff
    then keep checking and move forward to keep 10 thou off for the life of that barrel ,you may have to tweek powder wonce it moves a fair amount

thanks chaps,throat wear is something i havent gave any thought too.ive been hand loading for 10 years aswell,i use hornaday oal gauge and comparator,i checked the throat on my 25-06 since to find its also had 35 thousanths longer than it was last time i measured it for 85gr nos bal tips,probaly fired 400 shots since last measure,they were 20 fow off now they are 55 fow off,i havent had a zero check for 6 months,think i better,did have it clover leafing at 200yds and have shot 1.5 inch 3 shot group at 400yds,i hope that hasnt changed,trouble is ive got another 100 loaded up,
    Last edited by swarovski; 23-12-2011 at 17:58.